Todman, Wilson shine at Pro Day

Published: Thursday, March 24, 2011

Twenty-five NFL scouts and coaches were on hand at UConn football's Pro Day yesterday to watch the workouts of UConn's 10 NFL prospects.

Teams represented at Pro Day included the New England Patriots, New York Jets, New York Giants, Green Bay Packers and New Orleans Saints, to name a few.

The day began with measurements and weigh-ins in the training room at the Shenkman Training Center on campus before shifting to the weight room.

Four of the 10 prospects participated in the bench press portion of the workout, with fullback Brett Manning being the most impressive, putting up 225 pounds 35 times, with offensive lineman Zach Hurd in second with 25 reps. Then came the vertical jump, where Manning also came out on top with a 34.5-inch vertical jump, followed by linebacker Greg Robinson with a 33-inch vertical.

The focus then shifted to the field for running and position drills. Linebacker Lawrence Wilson posted the fastest 40-time with 4.5 seconds, followed by quarterback Zach Frazer and Robinson, each with times of 4.7 seconds.

Top prospects Jordan Todman, who was followed around by NFL filmmakers the whole day for a player profile, and Anthony Sherman didn't participate in weight lifting or running, as they were happy with the times posted at the NFL Combine a couple weeks ago.

"It was on advice from people that I talked to and from my agent that I did well enough at the Combine, so I didn't have to do my numbers again," Sherman said.

Sherman and Todman are the two likely UConn prospect's to go highest in the NFL Draft come April, with the buzz around Pro Day among NFL scouts that Sherman is the best of the bunch.

"I haven't heard too much, just that I have had good workouts and impressed some people," Sherman said. "I've heard different rounds, but it doesn't really mean anything because the guys making those assessments don't know much about what the teams want to do."

Todman, who impressed at the NFL Combine with a 4.4-second 40-time and 38-inch vertical, used Pro Day to show off his route running and catching abilities.

"At the Combine you run the 40 and do some drills, but here I can show scouts what I can do in the passing game," Todman said. "It is another opportunity to show scouts what I can do."

Todman was able to get some advice from former Husky-turned-Indianapolis Colt, Donald Brown, a couple of days ago in California before a golf tournament.

"Me and Donald went out to breakfast the other day," Todman said. "We talked football, talked about memories. He told me to continue to work hard, the business part, to make the right decisions and to stay humble. It was good to learn some stuff from him."

Despite having many critics in the past, Frazer was particularly happy with his workout, participating in the vertical and broad jump as well as the timed running and throwing drills.

"I think I did well," Frazer said. "I felt good throwing the ball. I felt like my releases were going well. It's tough when you don't have any wide outs to throw to here but spot throwing is just as great."

"I know I proved myself and I know I am capable of playing at the next level," he added.

Linebacker Scott Lutrus was able to fully participate in the bench press and linebacker drills, despite having nine screws and a metal plate in his hand.

"It went well," Lutrus said. "I wanted to do a little better on the bench, but I'm still overcoming my hand injury. I just went out there and did the best I could, gave it all I had. No complaints. No excuses. Just did the best I could."

These 10 Huskies will look on anxiously April 28 through 30 in hopes of their names being called so they can live out their dream of playing in the NFL.