Toss Up: What should the Colts do with Peyton Manning?

Get rid of him

Published: Tuesday, February 7, 2012

It is very difficult to talk about quarterbacks in the NFL without discussing Peyton Manning. Entering the league in 1998, the now Hall of Fame worthy quarterback is largely responsible for any of the success that the Indianapolis Colts have seen. With a victory in Super Bowl XLI, Peyton now commands respect and can be considered one of the top quarterbacks football has ever seen. However, a neck injury sustained this past year held Peyton to the sidelines for the entire season. Without him, it quickly became evident that he was the glue that held the Colts together throughout their success. With an embarrassing record of 2-14 this season, people joked that Peyton should still be in the running for the MVP because of how tremendously valuable he apparently is to the success of the Indianapolis Colts. Nevertheless, his serious injury has now forced people to not only question whether Peyton will remain in Indy, but if he will ever play football again. Unfortunately for the 35-year-old quarterback, Indianapolis may now be in the rear view mirror.

The Colts have the number one overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft, meaning the Colts could draft Andrew Luck. Luck is widely considered to be the number one draft pick at the quarterback position. So what will the Colts do? Will they draft a new, young quarterback in hopes of trying to move on from the Peyton Manning era, or will they hope that Peyton can come back and continue as quarterback for the Colts?

The Colts have to move on. Even if Peyton can come back, and play at the elite level that he has his whole career, he still only has a few more years left in the league. Eventually the Colts are going to be forced to move on from Peyton. However, after two neck surgeries, there is by no means any indication that Peyton will be his normal self on the field. With the doubt that Peyton's neck will hold up in the NFL, the Colts will draft the young quarterback from Stanford and hope to rebuild around him. It happens in every sport to every superstar athlete. Even Babe Ruth had to leave the Yankees when his prime days were over.

This is no knock on Peyton. He is a Hall of Fame quarterback who can be compared to any of the greats in the game. It's just what happens to everyone. A team cannot wait on something that is not guaranteed. Instead the Colts must try to rebuild their team, starting with Andrew Luck at quarterback. As far as Peyton is concerned, teams around the league will be interested in getting him to play for them. However, Peyton's days in Indy seem to be coming to an end.

Fortunately, not all the Manning brothers are under fire. Baby brother Eli is perfectly happy coasting down the Canyon of Heroes, hoisting his second Lombardi Trophy in four years.