UConn baseball beats Quinnipiac in Hamden

Published: Tuesday, April 10, 2012

baseball

ROB SARGENT/The Daily Campus

The UConn baseball team improved to 19-13 yesterday with a 12-7 win at Quinnipiac. The Huskies play Brown on Wednesday in Providence.

HAMDEN – The UConn baseball team came away with another out-of-conference win at Quinnipiac yesterday by a score of 12-7, but you wouldn’t be able to tell from coach Jim Penders’ post-game speech.

“We didn’t compete hard,” Penders said. “You have to compete every pitch and we were giving at bats away. We just sucked less than they did today.”

The game marked the Huskies’ 13th win in their last 15 games, and more notably ruined opposing head coach Dan Gooley’s chance at earning his 500th career win. Reliever Ted Hurvul (1-0) was credited with the win after starter Jared Dettmann didn’t make it out of the bottom of the fourth, and Quinnipiac’s Ryan Walsh (0-1) got the loss.

Scoring started right from the get go for UConn. Center fielder Billy Ferriter led the game off with a triple and immediately scored on a double off the bat of DH Tim Martin the following at-bat. The Bobcats answered quickly, though, in the bottom of the first on an RBI single from DH Kyle Nisson.

The Huskies picked up another run in the second off an RBI triple from left fielder Eric Yavarone, but their big inning came in the third. LJ Mazzilli hit a solo shot to right with a little help from the gusting winds and Jon Testani followed  him with a two-run homer to right center. Testani has secured his spot at third base over the past few weeks with his bat and has the highest average for a freshman on the team at .290.

Once again, Quinnipiac answered back and posted two runs in the bottom of the third with a pair of doubles. The Bobcats threatened to take the lead in the fourth, but Nisson grounded into a double play with the bases loaded.

The game was broken open with a six-run sixth inning, half of which came on a three-RBI double by shortstop Tom Verdi before he was thrown out at third to end the inning while trying to stretch it into a triple. Verdi just recently returned to the lineup from a case of pneumonia.

The scoring calmed down late in the game thanks in part to two innings of scoreless relief by Carson Cross, but the Bobcats got two runs off Michael Healey in the ninth before finally losing their 25th game of the season.

Late in the game Penders exercised his freedom to tinker with substitutes that was created by the Huskies early scoring. Outfielder Stanley Paul, who was out early in the season due to eligibility issues, got a hit in his lone at bat. Connor David saw an inning at catcher, but didn’t fare as well, committing an error before the final out on a pop up in foul territory.

The Huskies’ next game will be tomorrow in Providence, R.I. when they take on the Brown Bears.