UConn beats Xavier, loses to C of C and URI

Staff Writer and Campus Correspondent

Published: Monday, February 27, 2012

For the second straight weekend the UConn baseball team exits a tournament with just one win going 1-2 at the Cougar Invitational hosted by the College of Charleston.

The Huskies took the tournament's opening game against Xavier, 7-2, before dropping games to the College of Charleston, 10-6, and the University of Rhode Island, 2-0.

Sophomore Brian Ward tossed his second consecutive quality start in the opener going seven innings, allowing just four hits and two runs with four strikeouts.

Freshman Eric Yavarone stayed hot at the plate and went 2-4 at bat, including the first home run of his career, in the 7-2 victory.

Down 2-0 in the bottom of the third inning, the Huskies rallied for three runs with the help of LJ Mazzilli's RBI triple, which Tim Martin scored to tie the game. Mazzilli later scored on a single by Ryan Fuller to put the Huskies on top for good.

The Huskies added four more in the bottom of the next inning sparked by a pair of home runs by Yavarone and John Sulzicki to put the Huskies up 7-2.

Ward was pulled after seven to be replaced by Will Jolin. In his first appearance of the season, Jolin threw two scoreless, allowing just one hit, to close out the game.

The second game of the weekend did not go as well for the Huskies despite Tom Verdi hitting a grand slam in the seventh inning.

Starting pitcher Pat Butler got chased from the game after just 1.1 innings after surrendering sevens runs, six earned, on six hits. Jordan Tabakman relieved Butler and pitched 4.1 innings, allowing three runs on three hits with six strikeouts and four walks. Jared Dettman finished the final 2.1 innings without allowing a hit.

In the third and final game of the weekend the Huskies were blanked by New England rival Rhode Island, 2-0.

Sophomore Anthony Marzi held the Rams hitless through the first 6.2 innings but gave up an unearned run in the fifth after hitting URI's Pat Quinn who later came in to score on an error. The run was all the Rams needed but they scored another in the eighth on an error by Yavarone.

Mazzilli was able to reach first on an infield single in the fourth to run his hitting streak to six games. The Huskies outhit the Rams 6-3 in the loss.

The team travels to Starkville, Miss. this weekend to play a pair of games against Lipscomb and Mississippi State beginning on Friday at 1:30 p.m