UConn Classic a success yet again

Published: Sunday, September 8, 2013

Updated: Sunday, September 8, 2013 23:09

UConn has many great traditions. From singing the fight song, to yelling the UConn chant, or even the event formerly known as Spring Weekend, Storrs is home to many customs that make it unique from every other university in the nation
This weekend featured another UConn tradition, as the UConn Volleyball team hosted the 2013 edition of their non-conference tournament, the UConn Classic.

The tournament, which has been played annually since 1989 (with the exception of the 1998 season), has been a wildly successful one for the Huskies, who entered this year’s edition with a 48-13 as tournament hosts.

The Huskies hosted a trio of quality opponents, as Gampel Pavilion welcomed the Albany Great Danes, Pittsburgh Panthers, and Northeastern Huskies.

UConn finished the tournament with a 1-2 record, which included losses in five set thrillers against both Pitt and NU, which sandwiched a sweep of Albany.

However, Coach Holly Strauss-O’Brien reinforced that, despite the pair of losses, the tournament is a great indicator of what conference play will feel like for the inaugural American Athletic Conference season.

“This (tournament) totally prepares us,” said Strauss-O’Brien. “Everyone we played this weekend is like an opponent we’ll face in the American Conference.”

“It was a strong tournament, competitive wise,” added Strauss-O’Brien, who has led the Huskies for eight seasons. “We just didn’t finish when we needed to. But we’re right there. We’re a few kills short of winning any match, we just need to stay the course and hopefully we’ll figure it out before conference plays starts.”

As for individual players, juniors Devon Maugle and Brianna Datti were recognized as members of the All-Tournament team.

Maugle, an outside hitter from Plymouth Meeting, Pa., finished the tournament with 32 kills, while Datti, the libero from Durham, N.H., led the way for UConn with 53 digs.

UConn will be back in action this weekend, as they take on Troy, St. John’s and Georgia Tech in Atlanta for the Courtyard Classic.