UConn cruises vs. SHU

Published: Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The UConn men’s tennis team has had a rough go of things this spring. They experienced a lengthy losing streak that consisted of numerous close calls where the match could have gone either way. However, this weekend they took out their frustration against Sacred Heart. The Huskies were firing on all cylinders and got strong performances from every member of the team. The doubles duo of Scott Warden and Jacob Spreyer continued their winning ways with an easy 8-2 win. The streaky combination of Dave Adams and Wei Lin had an easy day’s work as well, as they secured the doubles point for UConn with an 8-2 win of their own. For seniors Dave Adams and Scott Warden, this was the last time they would be playing a regular season doubles match, and they finished the year the way they wanted to. The singles matches were usually the stumbling block for Huskies, on the season but not on this day; Ryan Carr, Adams, Lin, and Warden all cruised to straight set wins. At this point, the Huskies were up 5-0 and had the match well in hand, but the winning continued with Jacob Spreyer and Teddy Margules. Both players dropped their first set, but roared back with impressive second sets, and to say that they outlasted their opponents in the third and final set is an understatement. They needed more than the standard seven games necessary to win a set, but Spreyer was able to finish the job in eight games. Margules, on the other hand, was not as fortunate. The set lasted 30 games and Margules was able to pull out a marathon win by the score of 16-14. For the first time this season the Huskies were able to shut out their opponent, winning 7-0, and were a doubles match away from winning every match. It’s been a long time since the Huskies were able to win a match, but it couldn’t have come at a better time. UConn now has to travel to Tampa, Fla., where they will be competing in the Big East Championships starting on the 19th. Judging by their record, it is hard to determine whether or not they will be able to make any noise in the tournament. However, one factor that is in the Huskies’ favor is that they are going in to it with a positive mindset after their win over Sacred Heart.