UConn holds position in AHA power rankings

Published: Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Atlantic Hockey Conference has done somewhat of a complete reversal from the midway point of the regular season; certain teams are on the rise, while others are found free falling. Here are my rankings with only two weeks remaining in the regular season.

12. Sacred Heart (1-26-2, 1-19-2)
The Pioneers won their first game of the season on Tuesday night, 7-3, against division rival Holy Cross. It was their first non-loss since a 2-2 tie on Nov. 17th, 2012 vs. American International.

11. Army (7-15-5, 7-10-5)
The Black Knights had lost three consecutive games, allowing 16 goals and were shut out twice, before tying 2-2 in their most recent divisional matchup against Bentley.

10. Bentley (12-15-2, 10-11-2)
Bentley went 1-0-1 most recently in two games vs. Army, but dropped five straight games prior to the 1-0-1 stint.

9. American International (9-14-5, 6-11-5)
AIC has won three straight games vs. division opponents, but two of those wins came 9-1, and 4-0 vs. Sacred Heart. The Yellow Jackets had been 1-1-2 in four games prior to their three consecutive wins.

8. Canisius (11-16-5, 10-11-2)
Despite defeating division leading Niagara on Feb. 7th, the Golden Griffins have lost three straight games, two of which came against division rival Air Force.

7. Mercyhurst (14-13-3, 12-9-2)
The Lakers are 0-3-1 in their past four games, losing to both Air Force and the Rochester Institute of Technology. Mercyhurst will play Atlantic Conference leading Niagara, and Robert Morris in their final four games in the regular season.

6. Holy Cross (15-12-2, 11-9-2)
The Crusaders recently split a two game series vs. Connecticut, both 4-1, before being ousted 7-3 and surrendering Sacred Heart’s first win of the season on Tuesday night.

5. Rochester Institute of Technology (12-13-5, 10-9-4)
The Tigers have scored 12 goals in their last three games, with all of those games being victories. RIT will face off with Air Force and Canisius to close out the regular season.

4. Air Force (14-10-7, 12-6-5)
The Falcons most recently won two in a row vs. division opponent Canisius to a 6-3 goal differential. Air Force will play RIT and Niagara to finish the regular season.

3. Robert Morris (16-12-2, 11-11-1)
The Colonials most recently defeated the Atlantic Conference’s most dominant team in Niagara 6-5 in overtime. Prior to the victory, Robert Morris lost two consecutive games, both by a one goal margin.

2. Connecticut (14-13-3, 11-10-2)
UConn will remain number two in the rankings after avenging a 4-1 loss to Holy Cross with a 4-1 victory the day following the loss. The Huskies will finish off the regular season vs. division opponents Army and Sacred Heart.

1. Niagara (19-6-5, 18-3-2)
Niagara has allowed nine goals in its past three games, but was 2-1 in those games. The Purple Eagles lost their most recent matchup, 6-5 in overtime to Robert Morris. In the final four games of the season Niagara will go against division foes Mercyhurst and Air Force.