UConn Huskies to face University of Washington in game on Fox Soccer Channel

Published: Thursday, September 6, 2012

In the battle of the Huskies, the No. 4 UConn men’s soccer team hosts No. 21 Washington tonight. The game will be aired live on Fox Soccer Channel as the NSCAA Game of the Week at 7 p.m.

Each of Connecticut’s matches has been decided by a single goal, including a 1-0 victory last time out at Michigan State. In that game, sophomore Allando Matheson scored on a one-time cross from senior Max Wasserman. Matheson has tallied two goals and an assist and has been a jolt of energy off the bench on the young season. He was named to this week’s Big East honor roll.

UConn is one of eight Big East teams ranked in the NSCAA poll. The Huskies are also No. 1 in the Soccer America poll.

Preseason All-Big East selection Andre Blake picked up where he left off with last year’s record-breaking freshman debut. He has played every minute this season, recording eight saves allowing only one goal, the lowest amount in the conference.

UConn has outshot opponents 20-5 in the first half of games this season. But despite their early dominance, the Huskies have only found the back of the net once in the first 45 minutes of play.

Junior Mamadou Doudou Diouf must lead the UConn attack after playing only the first 58 minutes against Michigan State before being taken out because of fatigue.

Washington (3-0-1) leads the all-time series 3-1. They defeated UConn in the teams’ last meeting in 2004. UW ripped off three wins over Gonzaga, Cal Poly and Wisconsin to begin the season. On Sunday, they fought Cal State Bakersfield to a 0-0 tie.

UConn will have to work around the anchor of the Washington defense, senior and Pac-12 Player of the Week Dylan Tucker-Gangnes. Tucker-Gangnes has a similar role to UConn’s Carlos Alvarez, but is also capable of defending as well as attacking.

Washington lost their top five goal-scorers from last season to graduation. As a result, the senior defender has played a bigger role on the offensive side of the ball this season. He scored a goal in both of UW’s wins last week and has four goals this season.

Other offensive threats to watch for include junior Taylor Peay, sophomore Bradley McIntosh and freshman Ian Lange, who have all notched a goal in 2012.

In net is third-year starting goalkeeper Spencer Richey. Richey has played every minute, posting a .800 save percentage and .70 goal against average.

In what is expected to be a rowdy, sell-out crowd at Morrone Stadium, head coach Ray Reid and Connecticut look to extend their home unbeaten streak to 28 games.

UConn will also host Boston University on Sunday at 7 p.m