UConn men's swimming and diving competes in Winter Nationals

Published: Monday, December 3, 2012

Two competitors on the UConn men’s swimming team had the privilege of traveling to Austin, Texas to participate in the 2012 USA Swimming Winter Nationals, providing them the opportunity to compete against the nation’s top swimmers.

Sophomores Lachezar Shumkov and Wyatt Boliek qualified to compete in this past weekend’s prestigious competition. The two traveled with Coach Bob Goldberg to the competition site and hoped to make a splash against a strong field of swimmers, including several who competed in this summer’s Olympics held in London.

Shumkov competed in both the 100- and 200-yard breaststrokes this weekend, placing 20th and 29th, respectively. In the 100-yard, he not only set a new personal best but also set a new school record with his time of 55.00 seconds in the preliminary heat. Qualifying for the C finals, he finished fifth in the division with a time of 55.45 seconds. His 29th place finish in the 200-yard was just short of making it into the C finals, posting a time of 2:02.54.

Boliek competed only in the 200-yards breaststroke, finishing a respectable 47th with a time of 2:05.49. This was Boliek’s second fastest time of the year in this event. His fastest performance was less than a second shorter at 2:04.87 against Penn earlier this season.

This was the Huskies’ last meet of the semester. The team will now have the chance to prepare for an intense second semester schedule that will kick off with a meet at home against Big East rival Seton Hall on Jan. 26.