UConn men's swimming and diving to face Colgate

Published: Thursday, February 7, 2013

After Saturday’s loss to Dartmouth, the UConn men’s swimming and diving team looks ahead to a meet this weekend at Colgate.

“It was a hard loss, we didn’t swim very well,” said head coach Bob Goldberg. “It was kind of a mirror image of last year. Both teams were really even, and last year we came out all fired up…ended up getting momentum, taking them out of the meet and beating them pretty easily. This year they did the exact same thing to us. “
Goldberg hopes that last weekend’s disappointment will translate into this weekend’s motivation for his team. “Those who didn’t put their heart into it need to look in the mirror and get ready to go this week,” he said.

Colgate has had a tough season this year, holding a 0-10 record overall. However, humbled by last weekend’s loss, the Huskies do not intend on taking this meet lightly and still expect tough competition.

“If they come out more fired up than we are and get momentum, it’s going to be a very tough meet,” Goldberg said. “If we can learn from last week, turn it around, get fired up in an away pool we have a shot at beating them.”

At their last meeting, the Huskies knocked off the Colgate Raiders with a score of 151 to 82 at their own Wolff-Zackin Natatorium. Multiple swimmers had impressive performances that day, including Kyungsoo Yoon and Sawyer Franz, who together took home first place in four of the freestyle races. Diver Grant Fecteau also won both events in his field. Keith Piper, Sean Battle and Nick Cerra added to the win by clinching victories in their events. All of these athletes return this year, ready to match up against Colgate once again.

Of concern for UConn is the health of some of the athletes, particularly swimmer Jeandre Pretorius and diver Tony Cortright. Pretorius is coming off a two-week battle with a bout of pneumonia, while Cortright has been struggling with flu-like symptoms. However, both should be ready to compete this Saturday. Beyond that, the team may be a little “banged up here and there” from the previous meet but Goldberg is taking “no excuses.”

The Huskies will try to turn their luck around this Saturday at 1 p.m. in Hamilton, N.Y. when they will take on the Colgate Raiders.