UConn men's tennis to take on Sacred Heart

Published: Friday, April 13, 2012

The Huskies men’s tennis season is starting to look like a broken record. The men give it their all, stay in it until the end, but come up short. The Huskies traveled to Marist, on Tuesday and the early part of the match made it seem like the Huskies were ready to turn their season around. Matt Burns and Ryan Carr fell short, losing 9-7, but the other two doubles matches went in favor of the Huskies. Dave Adams and Wei Lin took control of their match and won 8-5, while Jacob Spreyer and Scott Warden were able to cruise to an 8-4 win in their No. 1 doubles match. Winning two out of three doubles matches resulted in the Huskies taking an early 1-0 lead.

However, the singles matches did not unfold the way the Huskies were hoping for. Lorenzo Rossi of Marist continued his hot streak and was able to take Warden in straight sets. Spreyer made a valiant effort, but it was not enough for the win as he was a tiebreak away from forcing a third and decisive set. Marist won all of the other singles matches, except for one. Senior standout Dave Adams was able to win in straight sets by a score of 6-4, 7-6.

The Huskies need to get back to a grind-it-out mentality and make the match as long as possible, since that’s when they play their best. The Huskies’ final matches will occur at home in Storrs on Saturday, April 14th. UConn will take on Sacred Heart, who are coming off three tough losses including a 7-0 beat down by Fairfield. The Huskies want to end their season on a high note and this matchup gives them a great shot to do so.