UConn men's track finishes second at Penn State

Published: Monday, February 4, 2013

Facing their toughest competition of the year, including the top ranked teams in both the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions in Cornell and Penn State, the Huskies posted 106 total points. In first place was the Penn State Nittany Lions with 133 total points. It was two first place finishes from junior Darnell Cummings led the UConn men’s track and field team to the second place finish Saturday at the Sykes-Sabock Challenge Cup in University Park, Pa.

Cummings led the way for the Huskies, crossing the finish line first in the 60 and 200 meter with times of 6.78 and 21.45 seconds. With the two first place finishes, Cummings notched 20 points for the Huskies, almost 19% of the teams’ total.

“It felt great to get two quality wins this past weekend,” Cummings said. “There was some great competition at the meet, and to come out with a victory while setting two of the top times in the Big East was a great accomplishment.”
Head Coach Gregory Roy also lauded Cummings accomplishment, but added that he expects more positive results.

“Darnell has clear goals for the season, and none of them involve losing a race,” Roy said.

Cummings added that his goals extend beyond just him. “One goal I have is to walk away with another Big East title as a team,” Cummings said. “We won my freshman year, and I know going there and focusing on winning my individual events will help us as a team.”
The Huskies captured two more of their 16 top five finishes in the 60 meter hurdle as sophomore Selwyn Maxwell and senior Claudio DelliCarpini finished in second and fourth place, respectively. Senior Kevin Smith finished in third in the 200 meter with a time of 21.76, and sixth in the 60 meter in a time of 6.87. Junior Ryan McGuire outlasted the field in the 5,000 meter and took home first with a time of 14:47.78.

“Wins over the top ranked team in our region, Cornell, as well as Virginia from the ACC, and Princeton, a perennial Eastern powerhouse were solid, and the team continues to progress in a positive direction,” Roy said.

The Huskies also garnered positive results from the field events as senior Josh Faboyede posted a fourth place finish in the weight throw with a fling of 19.44 meters. Junior Eric Masington matched that with a fourth place finish of his own in the shot put, with a hurl of 16.91 meters. Junior Cory Duggan also continued his impressive season with another second place finish in the pole vault, completing a leap of 4.95 meters.

“Cory has grown and matured incredibly this year and his vaulting is showing it,” Roy said. “He looks to be ready to take another step real soon.”
The Huskies final meet of the season before the Big East Championships begin is this Friday, Feb. 8, at the Rider/Lafayette Invitational.