UConn to take on in-state rival Fairfield Stags in lacrosse

Published: Thursday, March 8, 2012

The UConn womens' lacrosse team returns home Saturday to face in-state rival Fairfield (3-1) at 1 p.m. at the Sherman Sports Complex.

The Huskies (4-1) defeated the UNH Wildcats on Wednesday in Durham, N.H. After allowing an early goal, UConn jumped out to a 10-2 lead early in the second half. The Wildcats scored four consecutive times within seven minutes, cutting the lead to four with less than ten minutes remaining, but senior attack M.E. Lapham's 15th goal of the season sealed the 12-9 victory for the Huskies.

Senior attack Kiersten Tupper tallied four goals and an assist in the winning effort. She leads the team with 21 points on the season. Tupper is also in the Big East top ten for goals scored, assists, and points. Midfielders Mackenzie Rainone and Lauren Kahn each scored two goals apiece.

Junior goalie Brittney Testa earned the victory with ten saves for the Huskies. Testa is still top three out of all Big East goalkeepers with a save percentage of .511 and 9.2 saves per game.

Opponents are outscoring Connecticut 35-27 in the second half of games this season. UConn has also had fewer opportunities in the second half, as they are averaging four less shots on goal in the second half than in the first half.

Fairfield has won the last two meetings with the Huskies, but UConn is 5-4 in the series all-time.

The Stags are coming off a 16-12 victory over Sacred Heart, in which freshmen Melanie Raso and Addie Reilly each earned hat tricks. The pair of freshmen attack have been a deadly duo for Fairfield in 2012; they have combined for 23 goals in just four games. Reilly is second in the conference with 15 goals in 2012.

Another freshman making a difference for Fairfield this season is midfielder Courtney Chmil, first in the MAAC with 4.25 ground balls per game. She also leads the team with six draw controls and five caused turnovers.

Fairfield's lone loss this season came at the hands of No. 13 James Madison on March 4.

Up next for the Huskies is another in-state opponent, Sacred Heart in Fairfield, Conn., on Friday, March 16. The Stags will tread north to face the UNH Wildcats on Sunday, March 18.