UConn volleyball to play its first home game in 13 days

Volleyball

Published: Thursday, September 13, 2012

The UConn volleyball team (6-5) will play its first match at home in 13 days, when it hosts the Harvard Crimson today in Gampel Pavilion.

The match is the first of three games for the Huskies this weekend as part of the New England Challenge. After today’s match, both teams will head to Northeastern University in Boston for matches against Northeastern and Boston College on Saturday.

UConn is coming off a tough weekend. The Huskies played four games at the Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational at Missouri State University, splitting the weekend with a record of 2-2.

UConn won one match each of the two days. On Friday, the Huskies defeated New Orleans University 3-0 before losing to Missouri State 3-0. On Saturday, the Huskies played their first five-set match of the year, defeating Nebraska-Omaha 3-2, but then lost to the Huskies of Northern Illinois, 3-1.

The usual suspects led the way for UConn. Sophomore Devon Maugle was named to the All-Tournament Team. Seniors Mattison Quayle and Kelsey Maving once again played key roles for the Huskies.

The Crimson are 2-4 to start the season. In last weekend’s Harvard Invitational, they got their first two wins of the season, defeating Manhattan and Providence. Their final match of the weekend was a 3-0 loss to Northern Kentucky.

The Boston College Eagles are off to a 6-4 start in 2012. UConn’s first opponent on Saturday is coming off an impressive weekend during which, despite losing to Tennessee, they defeated Maryland and George Washington.

Northeastern have impressed thus far this season. At 8-3, the Huskies have dropped only 13 sets in their first 11 games and are coming off a 2-1 weekend at the Duke Classic in Durham, N.C., with their only loss being to the Blue Devils.

The Huskies have only four matches remaining before the Big East Conference begins. Their last match before conference play starts is Wednesday at Sacred Heart.