UConn women's hockey gets shut out by Northeastern

Published: Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Women's Hockey

LINDSEY COLLIER/The Daily Campus

UConn forward Kayla Campero carries the puck during the Huskies’ 4-0 loss to Northeastern in Hockey East play on Tuesday night at Freitas Ice Forum.

The UConn women’s ice hockey team dropped a 4-0 decision to division foe Northeastern on Tuesday night at the Mark Freitas ice forum.

Northeastern outshot UConn 46-26 on the game, while winning 38-61 draws in the game.

The NU Huskies took a 2-0 lead in the first period, outshooting UConn 14-11.

“We did some really good things in the last half of the first period,” UConn head coach Heather Linstad said. “We gave up those two goals, and I thought in the second half of the first period we created some opportunities to score and I thought we did really well. It’s just I know for the kids, myself and for my coaching staff it’s really frustrating.”

UConn generated a few scoring chances early in the second period, but Northeastern was able to take a 3-0 lead with 6:24 left in the frame.

The third period was controlled by UConn, but NU was able to take a 4-0 advantage after their powerplay expired with 11:08 remaining in the final stanza.

“The goal after their powerplay really stunk. We had that momentum as far as a great kill, and it’s frustrating,” Linstad said.

UConn was able to kill off two penalties of four minutes in the game.

“We did some really really good things. We were more resilient and disciplined in our play,” Linstad said.

UConn sophomore forward Kayla Campero had a chance with less than two minutes left in the game on a breakaway chance but was only able to find iron, and NU was able to keep the Huskies out of the net.

“We moved the puck and had some great rushes; we had some one on one play down below the goal line, and honestly we fore-checked them better than we have in the past,” Linstad said. “We didn’t allow a lot of odd man rushes, so we created a lot of offense, and that’s the biggest thing that we have to keep doing. We have to find a way to get on those pucks and put them away.”

UConn was able to get 26 shots on goal, but have not been able to put any in net in their past two games.

“There were some great opportunities but we just didn’t bury our chances,” Linstad said. “I’m using the same kids, and I can’t say enough. We’re playing 4-5 D right now, and they are out there an awful lot and played really hard.”

UConn has two games left on the regular season, both versus the second best team in the Hockey East in Boston University. The Huskies will finish out their regular season on home ice at the Mark Freitas ice forum on Sunday Feb. 24th at 2 p.m.