UConn women's hockey home game cancelled for this weekend

Published: Thursday, February 7, 2013

The UConn women’s hockey team was scheduled for two games this weekend, but the Huskies will only play the latter half on Sunday at the University of New Hampshire.

Saturday’s game was set to be played at home against the Northeastern Huskies, but has been rescheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 17 due to the heavy snow that is taking New England by storm.

UConn (3-22-3, 1-13-1 Hockey East) has played New Hampshire (11-14-2, 7-7-1 Hockey East) twice this season and lost both meetings of the weekend series to the Wildcats. The Huskies lost the first game on Jan. 19 by a score of 3-1 after being outshot 14-0 in the first period. Senior Kristina Lavoie beat UConn goaltender Elaine Chuli for UNH’s first goal. Kristina Horn was able to notch New Hampshire’s second goal and Arielle O’Neill was able to net the third goal on a power play. UConn’s only goal was scored by Sarah Chappelle off of a rebound soon after UNH’s third goal. Chuli made 28 saves that night.

The Huskies were shutout 2-0 on Jan. 20 in the second meeting. UNH goaltender, Jenn Gilligan was able to stop 19 shots in the shutout. Freshman Sara Carlson netted UNH’s first goal of the game on a powerplay and later assisted on the second goal of the game with a pass to Kristina Lavoie.

Since playing the Huskies, the Wildcats have gone 1-3 with their only win coming against Vermont. New Hampshire is currently in fifth place in Hockey East with 15 points. This could be a great chance for the Huskies to come away with a victory. UConn is winless in their last 10 games, and lost their last game against Providence in overtime by a score of 4-3.

Look for the Huskies to continue to create and take advantage of scoring opportunities and continue to rely on the strong play of Elaine Chuli in net.

The game will be played Sunday at noon in Durham, N.H. and will be shown on FOX College Sports.