UConn women's hockey to wear pink uniforms

Published: Thursday, January 31, 2013

The UConn women’s ice hockey team will be wearing pink jerseys tonight in their annual Skating Strides Against Breast Cancer game at 7 p.m. at the Mark Freitas Ice Forum vs. Providence.

This game was started in 2005 by coaches within Hockey East to raise awareness for breast cancer and to fundraise for the Friends of Mel Foundation.

Each Hockey East school takes part in fundraising and supporting the foundation.

In light of the event, UConn has been selling pink skates, t-shirts, storming the dorms and collecting change for fundraising, They even ran a clinic for youth kids who got to spend the day with the women’s ice hockey team on ice and in the Mark R. Shenkman training center last week.

UConn has raised the most money since the program began, and about $10,000 each year for the last three years, UConn women’s ice hockey head coach Heather Linstad said.

The Huskies will have raised about $65,000 total after this year since the program began, Linstad said.

The money raised that is donated to the Friends of Mel foundation is also distributed for breast cancer research and to local organizations such as Necessities Bag, a nonprofit.

UConn will face off with division rival Providence for their Skating Strides game.

“We’re a different team than we were last time we played them, but I really do think that we have the ability to beat any team in Hockey East,” Linstad said.

The last time these two teams faced off, the Friars got the best of the Huskies in a 5-3 victory. UConn led 3-0 in the contest before allowing five unanswered goals to close out the game.

“We matchup well against Providence, and we understand that we can score against them,” Linstad said. “We have to be stronger in the defensive zone; we have to make a commitment that when the puck is in our defensive zone we make good decisions and all five guys are contributing on defense.”

UConn is coming off of a 0-1-1 weekend vs. the University of Maine and Boston College.

The Huskies went into overtime against the Black Bears with a 1-1 end result and visited the number three ranked Golden Eagles and lost 8-0.

“We need to expect more of ourselves, and we gave up some very bad goals vs. BC,” Linstad said. “If we’re protecting the crease, we can play with some more passion, heart and some more oomph to have success. We need to get the job done offensively and defensively.”

This year, the UConn women’s ice hockey team will be selling the pink game jerseys at their Skating Strides game tonight to help their fundraising efforts, and any student in attendance can be entered in a raffle to receive a $100 gift card to D.P. Dough.