UConn:Women's track competes in New Mexico

Published: Thursday, January 23, 2014

Updated: Thursday, January 23, 2014 23:01

After winning the Great Dane Classic for the third year in a row last week, the UConn women’s track and field team will return to action Saturday, Jan. 25 in the Cherry and Silver invitational in Albuquerque, N.M.

The distance medley relay squad of Laura Williamson, Tiffany Daley, Kat Vodopiam and Emily Durgin paced the field, and claimed first place with a time of 11:56.01 last week, and following the meet, coach Bill Morgan said, “Consistency is going to be the word from here on out – it’s a great group that will continue to grow.”
Although the Huskies have momentum heading into Albuquerque, they will be without Coach Morgan for the meet, as he has taken a leave of absence, according to assistant coach Amy Yoder Begley. Morgan, who has been coaching at UConn for 32 years, is on an indefinite leave for personal reasons.

In his absence, UConn will be led by associate head coach Clive Terrelonge, who is beginning his 10th season with the school. Terrelonge, who normally coaches the sprinters and hurdlers, has enjoyed success in his tenure as a Husky, as he is a five-time recipient of the USTFCCA North Eastern Region Coach of the Year.

“Coach Terrelonge is doing great. He has been with Coach Morgan the whole time he has been at UConn, so even though he has had some added responsibilities, we are trying to keep our routine the same as it would be for any other meet,” Begley said.

Terrelonge, Begley and the athletes are excited to prove they can still compete at a high level without their leader, as they are facing some tough competition at the University of New Mexico.

“The kids will look to honor [Morgan’s] absence and he will hopefully be proud of the effort we put forth this weekend,” Begley said.