Vaughan, DeLuca and Grinnell power UConn

Published: Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Huskies dominated URI at home this Tuesday to defeat the Rams by a convincing score of 10-0. Spectacular performances were displayed by senior captain Amy Vaughan, who hit her 11th home run of the year to lead the Huskies to victory.

Triple A to the Rescue

UConn showed off their power today, hitting three home runs in the six innings of play. Home runs were turned in by Amy Vaughan, Amy DeLuca, and Audrey Grinnell. While Vaughan has been consistently going deep all season, DeLuca hit her first homer of the season while Grinnell went yard for the third time this year. URI pitcher Sam Bedore walked the first Husky batter she faced when Amy Vaughan gave the Huskies a quick 2-0 lead with one swing of the bat. Amy DeLuca followed up Vaughan’s smash with one of her own in the bottom of the second. After a five run storm by the Huskies in the third, Grinnell solidified the UConn victory with a statement of her own, blasting a two-run home run to give the Huskies a 10-0 lead.

Callahan comes through

Katelyn Callahan recorded her first victory for the Huskies this season in thrilling fashion. Callahan pitched a strong four innings, allowing zero runs on only two hits. She also struck out six batters in her fantastic outing on the mound. It was also Callahan’s second career victory.

Home sweet home

The Huskies have only two losses at home this season, both coming against the No. 1 ranked team in the Big East Conference, the University of South Florida. The Huskies have proved their home dominance by winning their first four home games of the year. They also gave South Florida their first Big East loss of the season, winning a thriller by a score of 7-3.

The Huskies move to 19-17 on the season and 7-5 in Big East play. URI falls to 16-22 on the season and 2-6 in the Big East. The Huskies face a tough task today as they face Depaul at home in a two–game doubleheader.