Volleyball tops Georgetown behind Ratliff

Published: Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Sophomore Karson Ratliff set a new career-high in kills Wednesday afternoon when the UConn volleyball team continued its excellent Big East campaign with a 3-1 win over Georgetown in Washington D.C.

Ratliff, who over the past month has provided evidence that she is ready to step into a bigger offensive role next season, led all players for the match with 17 kills.

After reaching the 1,000-kill milestone this weekend, senior Mattison Quayle registered 14 on Wednesday, the second most on the team behind Ratliff. Freshman Erika Thomas also reached double figures with 10 kills. With 26 digs, senior Kelsey Maving was once again the defensive star for the Huskies. Marissa Prinzbach continued her impressive freshman season with 42 assists.

Sitting in last place at 1-13 (7-20 overall), Georgetown entered the game with no chance of reaching the postseason. With nothing to lose, the Hoyas came out strong, taking the first set by a score of 25-19. After that, however, it was all Huskies.

UConn took the next three sets by scores of 29-27, 26-24 and 25-19.

The Huskies are now 18-11 overall and 9-5 in the Big East. They are in fifth place in the conference behind Cincinnati, 9-4. Entering the final weekend of the season, it has already been confirmed that UConn and Cincinnati will play each other in the Big East Tournament later this month in Milwaukee, Wis. All that is left to determine is whether UConn will be the No. 4 or No. 5 seed.

UConn’s last game of the regular season is tomorrow at Gampel Pavilion against South Florida. Last time the Huskies met the Bulls was Oct. 19 in Tampa, when UConn fell behind 2-0 but came back to win 3-2.

Prior to the 7 p.m. match, the Huskies will honor seniors Mattison Quayle, Kelsey Maving and Angela Roidt, who will all be playing in their final career home match.