Where are they now?: Dan Iassogna

Published: Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Even though Dan Iassogna never played collegiate or professional baseball in his life, he has always wanted to be involved with the sport. But instead of trying to make it as a ballplayer like a million others around the world, he found another way to The Show: as an umpire.

Born in 1969 in Bridgeport, Conn, Iassogna grew up and attended St. Joseph’s Catholic High School in Trumbull, Conn. He went on to enroll at UConn and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Iassogna began his umpiring career in 1992 when he started in the New York-Penn League. Two years later, he moved over to the South Atlantic League. In 1995, the Carolina League called for his services and he spent a year there before switching to the Texas League during 1996-1997. Between 1998 and 2003, Iassogna served in the International League while also working as a fill-in for Major League Baseball before being promoted to a full-time umpire to replace the retiring Steve Rippley in 2004.

In just his second season in the majors, Iassogna began umpiring in the postseason. He has officiated the Division Series in 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2012; the League Championship Series in 2010; the 2011 All-Star Game and made his first appearance in the World Series last October and worked the home plate in Game 2.

Iassogna has done a good job of making the right calls during his career thus far. The only time he came close a controversial call was during The World Series Game 2, when Detroit Tigers’ Prince Fielder tried to score on a Delmon Young double and was tagged out at home plate San Francisco Giants’ catcher Buster Posey. Both Fielder and Tigers’ manager Jim Leyland initially argued the call, but as the instant replay would indicate, Iassogna in fact did made the correct call on the play.

Some of the other notable games Iassogna has officiated include two Justin Verlander no-hitters. The first came on June 12, 2007 when Iassogna worked third base during a game between the Tigers and the Milwaukee Brewers at Comerica Park. The second occurred on May 7, 2011 when Iassogna got to witness Verlander baffle the entire lineup of the Toronto Blue Jays at Rogers Centre.

Outside of his umpiring life, Iassogna resides in Georgia currently with his wife, Denise Lynn and their two daughters, Victoria and Madeleine.