Where are they now?: Mike Olt

Published: Thursday, September 27, 2012

It was not long ago that Michael Olt was the star of the UConn baseball team, stealing bases and hitting home runs regularly. Olt is still collecting big hits, although now it’s for the Texas Rangers in Major League Baseball.

Olt attended Branford High School in Branford, Connecticut, where he played for the school’s baseball team. He was a three-time All-State selection and led Branford to the Class L State Championship in 2006. He left high school with a career batting average of .475 and enrolled at UConn.

Olt went to UConn with high expectation and delivered right away for the Huskies. In his first season at UConn he batted .318 and added 13 home runs, 18 stolen bases and a then school record 61 runs batted in, breaking the previous mark of 60 set by Brian Packin in 1999. Olt wasn’t just a threat on offense, however, as he recorded 151 assists on defense and 85 put-outs from his position at third base. He was named a Freshmen All-American for his play and earned a spot in the the 2008 New England College Baseball All-Star Game.

In 2009, Olt had an “off-year,” hitting .301 with 8 home runs and 40 RBI. However, in 2010, Olt had a breakout year, hitting .318 with 23 home runs and 76 RBI. Olt also set a career home run record for the Huskies with 44. The Texas Rangers noticed Olt’s production and drafted him with the No. 49 overall selection of the 2010 MLB draft.

Coming into the 2012 season Olt was ranked as the No. 43 best prospect in baseball by MLB.com. It didn’t take long for the Rangers to call upon Olt, up to the bigs from the Frisco RoughRiders of the Class AA Texas League to the majors on August 2, 2012.

From there, Olt continued to do what he has always done, hit the baseball. In his first major league at bat, Olt recorded a hit off of Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim pitcher CJ Wilson. Nine days later, on August 11, Olt got a pinch hit walk-off single to beat the Detroit Tigers 2-1.

Since then, Olt has struggled and is hitting just .156 in 32 at bats for the Rangers.