Where are they now?: Rashad Anderson

Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012

UConn has a history of guards with sweet strokes and penchants for hitting big shots; see Ray Allen, Richard Hamilton and Ben Gordon. However, there is another former Husky who belongs in this category: Rashad “The Dagger” Anderson.

Anderson was born in Florida and was introduced to basketball by his cousin at the age of 10. By 13, he was playing on the third best AAU team in the nation. After being named an All-American and winning a state championship in high school, Anderson chose to enroll at UConn, turning down offers from the University of Florida, University of Tennessee and University of Texas.

As a freshman, Anderson came off the bench and averaged 8.2 points per game. He increased his average to 11.2 points per game in his sophomore year, but it was in the NCAA Tournament where Anderson really made his mark. With an average of 17.3 points per game during the NCAA Tournament, he was named to the Final Four All-Tournament Team. In the championship game, Anderson scored 18 points in the Huskies 82-73 win over Georgia Tech. During the title run, Anderson set a UConn single-tournament record with 21 three-pointers and earned the nickname “the Dagger” from Jim Calhoun for repeatedly hitting shots at key moments of games.

Following an uneventful junior season, in which he missed seven games due to skin abscess in his right leg. Anderson led the nation in points per game off the bench as a senior. Although he played just 22.4 minutes a game, Anderson was an All-Big East Honorable Mention and averaged a career best 12.8 points per game.

Anderson finished his career with 276 three-pointers, the most in UConn history.

Despite his success at UConn, Anderson was not selected in the 2006 NBA Draft. This did not deter him, however, and he left the U.S. and began his professional career playing for Egaleo BC in the Greek League. Since then, Anderson has continued to play professionally for different teams throughout Italy. He also briefly came back to the United States after being drafted in the 2009 NBA Developmental League Draft, No. 9 overall by the Iowa Energy.

Although Anderson has yet to receive an offer, he continues to pursue his dream of playing in the NBA.