Where are they now?: UConn-Syracuse 6OT thriller

Published: Thursday, November 29, 2012

With the news that Louisville is the latest school to spurn the Big East in favor of the ACC, the once-powerful conference looks to be falling apart. With the Big East in shambles, consider this article an ode to the players involved in one of the best moments in Big East basketball history, the UConn vs. Syracuse six-overtime thriller in 2009.

Connecticut and Syracuse came into the Big East quarterfinal matchup ranked No. 4 and No. 20, respectively, in the nation. Almost four hours and six overtimes later, the Orange escaped with a 127-117 win in the longest game in Big East history. The following are three UConn players who had memorable performances in this historic game.

Stanley Robinson, a high flyer that seemed to never reach his potential, was always exciting to watch at UConn. Although he only averaged 8.5 points and 5.9 rebounds a game in 2009, Robinson scored 28 points and grabbed 14 rebounds before fouling out in one of the overtimes. After UConn, Robinson was drafted No. 59 overall in the 2010 NBA draft by the Orlando Magic. However, he was waived before the start of the season and currently plays for the Iowa Energy in the NBA D-League.

Hasheem Thabeet, the tallest player to ever play for the Huskies at 7 feet 3 inches, was a game changer on the defensive end. In 2009 he was named the co-Big East Player of the Year as well as National Defensive Player of the Year. During the six-overtime game, Thabeet collected 19 points, 14 rebounds and six blocks. After the season, Thabeet declared for the NBA draft and was taken No. 2 overall by the Memphis Grizzlies. Later that season, Thabeet became the highest drafted player to ever be sent to the NBA D-League. Since then, he has also played for the Houston Rockets and Portland Trailblazers. Thabeet now plays for the Oklahoma City Thunder and on Nov. 26, he recorded his first career double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds against Charlotte.

A.J. Price had an eventful career at UConn to say the least. He missed his freshman season due to a life-threating battle with AVM, which caused bleeding in his brain. On top of the illness, Price was suspended after being arrested on charges of trying to sell stolen laptops. Price, UConn’s leading scorer during the 2009 season, finished with 33 points and 10 assists in a ridiculous 61 minutes played against Syracuse. Price was drafted No. 52 overall in the 2009 NBA Draft by the Indiana Pacers, and now plays for the Washington Wizards.