Which Huskies stood out during the fall?

Published: Thursday, December 5, 2013

Updated: Thursday, December 5, 2013 23:12

Cyle Larin, Men’s Soccer
Andre Blake and the UConn defense will capture the headlines for the way they have played this season, but good defenses need to be supported by offense.

After a slow start, Larin, a freshman from Canada has stepped up in a big way, scoring eight goals in the regular season and three in the conference tournament, Larin was named the American Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year.

Sarah Mansfield, Field Hockey
Men’s soccer has Andre Blake, men’s basketball has Amida Brimah and field hockey has shot-stopping sensation Sarah Mansfield.

Mansfield became the all-time wins leader on Sept. 15 with her 59th win for UConn, and was named an All-American this season, allowing only 29 goals in 25 games en route to the national championship.

Mansfield became a UConn sensation when she came out of her net and jumped to block a penalty shot during a shootout against Duke in the Final Four.

Rachel Hill, Women’s Soccer
Hill scored over 150 goals as a high school star in New Hampshire, and she picked up where she left off when she got to UConn.

Hill was invited to the U.S. Under-20 National Team’s training camp after scoring 13 goals and registering five assists in 20 games.

Yawin Smallwood, Football
Smallwood may not know whether he will be here or not next year, but if he is bound for the NFL, going out with the game-winning pick-six in UConn’s first win of the season, a 28-21 victory over Temple after being down 21-0 at half is a nice way to go out.

Shabazz Napier, Men’s Basketball
Shabazz has been quite Kemba-esque so far this season.

With his teammates struggling, Napier scored 27 points at Madison Square Garden to help UConn top Indiana.

His biggest moment so far was making the game-winning shot at the buzzer to top No. 15 Florida 65-64.