Women's Basketball

• Champs UConn wins it’s second naitonal championship in two days

NASHVILLE – It had come down to this. The moment the UConn women’s basketball had been waiting for: two undefeated heavyweight teams finally squared off in the national championship game. As the team took on Notre Dame, one of the two would lose for the first time this season. Tensions were through the roof, as the two teams faced the toughest opponent they have had all season. This rivalry was at full force and ready to explode, however UConn dominated Notre Dame 79-58 to take home its ninth national championship. 

• dc Women's Basketball: UConn prepares for Stanford in Final Four

NASHVILLE- The UConn women’s basketball team has lived up to the lofty expectations throughout the regular season, but the last two games in the NCAA Tournament are what matters the most.

• dc Women's Basketball: Breanna Stewart named AP Player of the Year

NASHVILLE – It wouldn’t be the women’s Final Four without UConn taking home some hardware.

• Basketball: Men, women one win away from dual Final Fours

LINCOLN, Neb. – When it comes the UConn and basketball, history always seems to be on the horizon.
    Only 10 times in NCAA history have both basketball programs from the same school made the Final Four in the same season. UConn has done it three times (2004, 2009 and 2011).
    Now that the UConn men have taken down Michigan State, Huskies are one step closer to a fourth dual Final Four.

• dc Women's Basketball: Mosqueda-Lewis crashes into BYU's chances

LINCOLN, Neb. – With UConn struggling to shoot the ball at even close to its normal clip from behind the arc, something needed to change. Something in the final 20 minutes was going to have to be different if the Huskies were to stretch their one-point halftime lead and survive No. 12 BYU.
    That something was Kaleena-Mosqeuda Lewis’ offensive rebounds.

• dc Women's Basketball: UConn survives Cinderella, advances to Elite Eight

LINCOLN, Neb. – When No. 12 BYU and No. 1 UConn met up in the third round of the NCAA women’s basketball tournament Saturday, both were looking for their own shot at history. But only one could keep that dream alive and it was the Huskies who did so, albeit scratching and clawing, with a 70-51 win.

• Women's Basketball UConn takes Nebraska in Sweet Sixteen games

For the UConn women’s basketball team and its fans, Saturday begins a week-plus stretch that will involve plenty of travel, hotel rooms and, hopefully, a trophy.

• UConn ready for roadtrip to Omaha

The No. 1 UConn women’s basketball team already had their bags packed for Nebraska as they took a fast and early lead against Saint Joseph’s and never looked back. The Huskies defeated the Hawks 91-52 and advanced to the Sweet 16 to play No. 12 BYU. 

• Pro Side: Stewart, Hartley, and Dolson honored

There is never much surprise when members of the undefeated Connecticut Huskies women’s basketball team are being showered with awards. Senior center Stefanie Dolson, senior guard Bria Hartley and sophomore forward Breanna Stewart have each been selected for the All-Region 1 Team as announced by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) on Tuesday, March 25.

• wbb Women's Basketball: UConn takes on St. Joe’s in seniors’ last home game

The No. 1 UConn women’s basketball team faces St. Joe’s in the second round of the NCAA Tournament tonight at Gampel Pavilion, marking the last game seniors Stefanie Dolson and Bria Hartley will play at home. After a dominant start in the first round against Prairie View, the Huskies (35-0) look to keep their perfect record alive as they take on the Hawks.
    “Natasha (Cloud) said it well; they’re competitors,” St. Joseph’s head coach Cindy Griffin said. “If you’re going to play in this tournament then why not play the best and challenge yourself against the best.”

Sports

• Column: Rooting for good people

Sports journalism is founded on one basic tenant: no cheering on press row.

• Jess Condon Hartford wins bid to host 2015 AAC Tournament at XL Center

The 2015 American Athletic Conference Men’s Basketball Championship will be played at the XL Center in Hartford, the conference announced Monday.

• Dolson and Hartley to be teammates again in Washington

UNCASVILLE – Geno Auriemma has joked that Stefanie Dolson and Bria Hartley were attached at the hip through four years at UConn. As it turns out, they won’t have to sever that bond to enter the pro ranks; both are joining the WNBA’s Washington Mystics after Monday night’s draft.

• Lindsay Collier A star is born: The story behind UConn walk-on Pat Lenehan

Ask any basketball fan and they will tell you the most boring games to watch are blowouts. We yearn for the excitement of a close ballgame, sitting on the edge of our seat as the hair on the back of our necks stands, as if it too is trying to get a glimpse of the action.

• Baseball: Huskies look to improve .500 record on the road against Fairfield

The UConn baseball team – fresh off a three-game road set against Cincinnati over the weekend in which the Huskies took two out of three and regained a .500 record – will travel to Fairfield today for an afternoon matchup against the Stags.

• Column: Welcome to Hartford

If you told me that my week could get better after covering half of a dual national championship, Boston College losing, covering my first MLS game, “Mean Girls” showing up on Netflix, seeing Bubba Watson choke up after winning the Masters and watching Joffrey do the same on his wedding day, I would find it hard to believe you.

• Column: With playoffs looming, time to grow those beards out

Last Monday, I found myself in Dallas for the National Championship game where, like many other UConn fans, I found myself doing whatever I could to push the Huskies to victory. I made sure to wear the same 1959 Jonathan the Husky shirt along with the same Hawaiian UConn hat that I had worn for the previous victory. I talked to the same kids, who had pushed their ways to the same spot that were praying, just praying, for the same result as the previous game.

• Column: Pine tar use in baseball more common than not

Thursday night began the four game series between the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox. The long time rivalry always attracts fans not just from the two teams, but also across the MLB. This game in particular drew a lot of attention as Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda threw a no-hitter for the first five innings. Pineda had a season-ending shoulder injury in 2012 that also put him out for the 2013 season. His comeback seemed unlikely, until he proved himself this past spring. But Thursday night’s 4-1 Yankee’s victory brought up a lot of question about what was responsible for Pineda’s un-hittable pitches: his arm or pine tar?

• Column: England seeks redemption in Rio this summer

As the scorching temperatures are quickly upon those participating in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, England are likely doing their best to cool themselves down after recent World Cup disappointments. With no John Terry, David Beckham or Paul Scholes, the “Golden Generation” is quickly fading; however, as Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard will likely feature in their final World Cup, expectations for the Three Lions are still high.

• Softball: UConn hosts Rhode Island, looks to snap skid

The UConn softball team will host the Rhode Island Ram’s today in Storrs in a one game non-league matchup as both teams are searching for a victory to help right the ship.

• Softball Softball: Huskies' winning streak snapped, swept at Louisville

After winning two home games against Providence and Fairfield, the UConn softball team was unable to continue their winning streak against Louisville, as the Huskies were swept in the weekend series by scores of 9-1, 6-0 and 9-1 in Louisville, Ky.

• Baseball Baseball: Huskies take two out of three at Cincinnati

Blake Davey’s two home runs on the weekend helped propel the UConn baseball team to a series win over the Cincinnati Bearcats at Marge Schott Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio.

• Column: What a title can do

Here we are a week later and I still can’t believe it. Not only did the UConn men’s basketball team shock the world...again, but the women took home their record ninth title.

• Women’s Tennis: UConn gets third straight victory

The UConn women’s tennis team finished up regular season play by picking up their third straight victory this past Saturday, beating the Marist College Red Foxes 6-1 in a dual meet.

• Men’s Tennis: UConn ends season with win over Sacred Heart

The UConn men’s tennis team ended the 2013-2014 season with a win against Sacred Heart University this past Saturday.

• Men's Track and Field: UConn earns 15 top-5 finishes

Over the weekend, the UConn men’s track & field team competed in the prestigious Spec Towns Invitational, where participants from all over the world and teams from all over the country competed. Countries such as Jamaica, Slovakia and Nigeria showed up for the event, as well as schools from the midwest, northeast and south came out for what was a highly competitive event. This weekend, UConn tallied two first place finishes and 15 top five finishes. The two top finishes were recorded by freshman Michael O’Donnell in the 1500 meter run and sophomore Robert Rhodes in the 800 meter run, as both lead the way for the Huskies at this event. Sophomore Nicholas Bertolini finished third. Senior Paul DeSalvo and junior Philip Caldwell finished third and fifth behind Rhodes in the 800 meter.

• Lacrosse: UConn loses to Georgetown, beats Marquette

After Georgetown snapped the UConn lacrosse team’s six-game winning streak Friday, the Huskies got back on track Sunday with a win over Marquette at the Sherman Family Sports Complex.

• Column: How about now?

I have often wondered how many Grammy awards Coldplay had to win before folks took them seriously. In the same way, it’s how I feel about the UConn men’s basketball program.

• Softball Softball: UConn looks to continue their win streak against Louisville

The UConn softball team defeated Fairfield 5-3 Thursday afternoon in Storrs. The Huskies used strong pitching and defense to win their second straight game after defeating Providence yesterday.

• Baseball Baseball: UConn to play Cincinnati in a three game series

The UConn baseball team will travel to Cincinnati to play the Bearcats this weekend in a three-game series.

• Lacrosse: UConn looks to keep six game win streak alive as they take on Georgetown

In what has turned into an impressive turnaround, the UConn lacrosse team (7-4) look to continue their six-game winning streak Friday against a challenging Georgetown (4-7).

• Men’s tennis: UConn hosts Sacred Heart in last meet

The UConn men’s tennis team looks to finish the regular season with a win, as they host Sacred Heart Saturday at the UConn tennis courts. The meet is set to begin at noon.

• Women’s tennis: UConn looks for third straight win in final meet of the season

The UConn women’s tennis team looks to end its regular season with a three-meet win streak, as they face Marist Saturday at the UConn tennis courts. The meet is set to begin at noon.

• Track and field: UConn to compete in Spec Towns Invitational

After a hectic week that featured the Dog Fight against the University of Albany and the UConn Decathlon, the UConn men’s track and field team will be headed off to Athens, Ga. to compete in the Spec Towns Invitational. The Huskies have not competed in this event since 2010, where they accumulated seven top-48 NCAA times in a meet coach Greg Roy described as having great competition. At this 2009 event, former Husky Ellis Gaulden qualified for the NCAA championship in long jumping and five other athletes recorded six IC4A qualifying marks.

• Troy Caldeira Baseball: McDowell drives in three in UConn’s win over Brown

Led by five combined hits from third baseman Bryan Daniello, catcher Max McDowell and designated hitter Blake Davey, the UConn baseball team knocked off Brown University 7-4 at home yesterday afternoon, inching its record closer to .500.