Women's Basketball

• Champs UConn wins it’s second naitonal championship in two days

NASHVILLE – It had come down to this. The moment the UConn women’s basketball had been waiting for: two undefeated heavyweight teams finally squared off in the national championship game. As the team took on Notre Dame, one of the two would lose for the first time this season. Tensions were through the roof, as the two teams faced the toughest opponent they have had all season. This rivalry was at full force and ready to explode, however UConn dominated Notre Dame 79-58 to take home its ninth national championship. 

• dc Women's Basketball: UConn prepares for Stanford in Final Four

NASHVILLE- The UConn women’s basketball team has lived up to the lofty expectations throughout the regular season, but the last two games in the NCAA Tournament are what matters the most.

• dc Women's Basketball: Breanna Stewart named AP Player of the Year

NASHVILLE – It wouldn’t be the women’s Final Four without UConn taking home some hardware.

• Basketball: Men, women one win away from dual Final Fours

LINCOLN, Neb. – When it comes the UConn and basketball, history always seems to be on the horizon.
    Only 10 times in NCAA history have both basketball programs from the same school made the Final Four in the same season. UConn has done it three times (2004, 2009 and 2011).
    Now that the UConn men have taken down Michigan State, Huskies are one step closer to a fourth dual Final Four.

• dc Women's Basketball: Mosqueda-Lewis crashes into BYU's chances

LINCOLN, Neb. – With UConn struggling to shoot the ball at even close to its normal clip from behind the arc, something needed to change. Something in the final 20 minutes was going to have to be different if the Huskies were to stretch their one-point halftime lead and survive No. 12 BYU.
    That something was Kaleena-Mosqeuda Lewis’ offensive rebounds.

• dc Women's Basketball: UConn survives Cinderella, advances to Elite Eight

LINCOLN, Neb. – When No. 12 BYU and No. 1 UConn met up in the third round of the NCAA women’s basketball tournament Saturday, both were looking for their own shot at history. But only one could keep that dream alive and it was the Huskies who did so, albeit scratching and clawing, with a 70-51 win.

• Women's Basketball UConn takes Nebraska in Sweet Sixteen games

For the UConn women’s basketball team and its fans, Saturday begins a week-plus stretch that will involve plenty of travel, hotel rooms and, hopefully, a trophy.

• UConn ready for roadtrip to Omaha

The No. 1 UConn women’s basketball team already had their bags packed for Nebraska as they took a fast and early lead against Saint Joseph’s and never looked back. The Huskies defeated the Hawks 91-52 and advanced to the Sweet 16 to play No. 12 BYU. 

• Pro Side: Stewart, Hartley, and Dolson honored

There is never much surprise when members of the undefeated Connecticut Huskies women’s basketball team are being showered with awards. Senior center Stefanie Dolson, senior guard Bria Hartley and sophomore forward Breanna Stewart have each been selected for the All-Region 1 Team as announced by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) on Tuesday, March 25.

• wbb Women's Basketball: UConn takes on St. Joe’s in seniors’ last home game

The No. 1 UConn women’s basketball team faces St. Joe’s in the second round of the NCAA Tournament tonight at Gampel Pavilion, marking the last game seniors Stefanie Dolson and Bria Hartley will play at home. After a dominant start in the first round against Prairie View, the Huskies (35-0) look to keep their perfect record alive as they take on the Hawks.
    “Natasha (Cloud) said it well; they’re competitors,” St. Joseph’s head coach Cindy Griffin said. “If you’re going to play in this tournament then why not play the best and challenge yourself against the best.”

Sports

• Patrick Gosselin Baseball: Zapata’s arm and Daniello’s bat pace Huskies

On top of another outstanding pitching performance, the UConn baseball team defeated the Quinnipiac Bobcats on Wednesday afternoon in a non-conference showdown in Hamden.

• Troy Caldeira Softball: UConn looks to carry momentum against UMass

Coming off a 10-2 dismantling of Bryant for its 12 win of the season and third win in its last five games, the UConn softball team (12-31, 3-11 the American) hopes to continue its winning ways against the UMass Minutewomen (11-18, 5-5 Atlantic 10) in its only home game of the week.

• Point/Counterpoint: Which professional league playoffs is better?

Dan: Shortly after March Madness subsides more excitement begins, as both the NBA and NHL have wrapped up their 82 game seasons and their respective playoffs have began. Although the NBA may be more popular, there is nothing more exciting than the NHL playoffs. The NHL playoffs feature excitement in every game, and their overtime rules result in some of the most spectacular endings in any professional sport. There is a certain intensity and feel to playoff hockey that is simply unmatched by any other sport.

• Column: Eastern Conference playoffs reactions

The NBA playoffs are in full swing and the Eastern Conference is already full of surprises. Here are my reactions to each series.

• Column: Western Conference playoffs impressions

The first round of the Western Conference playoffs has already had fans on the edge of their seats. The four games are perfect matchups that all have the potential to go at least six games.

• Huskies do away with the bulldogs

The UConn softball team went to Bryant University yesterday and defeated the Bulldogs 10-2 in a non-conference matchup.

• UConn baseball UConn Huskies thwart the UMass Minutemen

The UConn Huskies defeated the UMass Minutemen 8-5 in a battle of New England schools yesterday.

• Baseball Baseball Notebook: Huskies go error-free against Blue Devils

After the UConn baseball team committed four errors in a 6-2 loss to Temple on Saturday, head coach Jim Penders said his group needed to use its day off on Easter to regroup and take a mental breather.

• Baseball Baseball: Ward throws complete game in UConn’s win over CCSU

Brian Ward pitched a complete game, allowing one run on four hits, as the UConn baseball team beat Central Connecticut 9-1 Monday at J.O. Christian Field.

• Column: Aging Manchester United needs reinforcements

Much to the surprise of those of you who’ve been reading this soccer column regularly throughout the school year, this week’s topic doesn’t stray too far from where my heart is, Manchester United. And while I may be across the sea, with my college writing career about to end, it’s time to close this Manchester United “college years” chapter for good.

• Column: Liverpool’s winning formula

I should hate Liverpool, but it is hard to resist the passion and tradition of such a storied club.

• Softball: UConn trying to bounce back from losing weekend at Bryant

After dropping two of three games over the weekend to Temple, the UConn softball team will take on Bryant today in Smithfield, RI.

• Column: Milwaukee-Pittsburgh Easter Sunday brawl a memorable one

It was an exciting Easter Sunday at PNC Park when the Pittsburgh Pirates met up with the Milwaukee Brewers. The Brewers ended the 14-inning game with a 3-2 victory over the Pirates. It was a miracle the teams made it that long after a bench-clearing brawl in the third inning.

• Column: 'Bucci Overtime Challenge' becoming playoff tradition

Each and every year, I immerse myself in NHL Playoff tradition.

• Column: 617 words strong

This morning, the sun will rise high above the city of Boston and glimmer off the many windows that dot the Prudential Building. It will shine over TD Garden and Quincy Market after passing over Fenway Park and Boylston Street.

• Baseball Baseball: Huskies drop two games to Temple, fall to seventh in AAC

Failure to capitalize with runners in scoring position, extra inning heartbreak and untimely errors defined the final two games of the UConn baseball team’s series against Temple, as the Owls came back from a game-one loss to win the series two games to one.

• Softball: UConn drops two out of three against Temple at home

The UConn softball team lost their weekend series against the Temple Owls in Storrs this weekend. The Huskies won game one 5-4 in 10 innings and lost games two and three by a score of 4-2 and 3-2.

• Lacrosse: Kahn scores five goals in Huskies' win over Cincy

Following a defeat to Louisville, the Huskies rebounded to defeat Cincinnati 17-6 Saturday afternoon. UConn improved their overall record to 9-6 and to 4-2 in Big East games. Coach Katie Woods praised the team for their bounce back. “It’s extremely important to follow a loss with such good effort. We refocused, remembered to play like us and put ourselves in a position to win,” Woods said.

• Women's Tennis: UConn loses at conference championship

The UConn women’s tennis team concluded their season this past Thursday, losing to the University of Cincinnati Bearcats 4-1 in their opening match of the American Athletic Conference Championships.

• Men's Tennis: UConn loses to USF at AAC championships

The UConn men’s tennis team finished up their season this past Friday in Memphis, as they dropped their opening meet of the American Athletic Conference Championships to the University of South Florida Bulls. The No. 26 ranked Bulls won three singles matches and two doubles matches before play was called.

• Men's Track and Field: UConn wins New England Challenge

Over the weekend, the UConn men’s track and field team competed in their final home meet, the New England Challenge. UConn won the meet with 14 first place finishes, totaling 111 points which was more than enough to beat second place Southern Connecticut State with 60, and third place University of Rhode Island which amassed 23. Senior Captain Darnell Cummings and Freshman Patrick Hayes led the way and finished first and second, respectively, in both the 100 meter and 200 meter dash. The 400, 800, 1500 and 5000 meter races were all won by the Huskies as sophomore Robert Rhodes captured first in the 400, senior Paul DeSalvo finished first in the 800. Junior Phillip Caldwell won in the 1500 and finally freshman Ned Wilson in the 5000 meter. Following the same trend, both relay events were won by the Huskies as the 4x100m team of freshman Chinedu Amonu, senior Darnell Cummings, freshman Patrick Hayes and sophomore Robert Hovanec posted a winning time of 41.38. The 4x400m team of freshman Chinedu Amonu, sophomore Robert Hovanec, sophomore Aaeron Sykes and sophomore Robert Rhodes won first place with the time of 3:17.08.

• Softball Notebook: Duggan comes up big in extra innings win

As game one of Friday’s doubleheader against American Athletic Conference rival Temple went into extra innings, the Huskies became aware of how crucial a win would be in order to move up in the AAC standings and improve their seeding in next month’s AAC tournament.

• Baseball: Marzi’s pitching lifted UConn past Temple

Senior pitcher Anthony Marzi became the seventh player in UConn baseball history to reach 200 career strikeouts as the Huskies topped Temple 4-1 Thursday at J.O. Christian Field.

• Baseball Baseball: Marzi stays humble after 200 strike outs at UConn

April 18, 2011 is a day that UConn pitcher Anthony Marzi will probably remember for the rest of his life. It was the day he made his first collegiate appearance, throwing three innings in relief in an 18-3 win over UMass. It was also the day he threw his first collegiate strikeout.

• Softball: UConn looks to continue their hot streak agaisnt Temple

After putting up a season-high 12 runs against Hartford on Wednesday, the UConn softball team will resume conference play in a three-game homestand at Burrill Family Field against the Temple Owls.