Women's Basketball: After week off, UConn travels to South Florida

Published: Thursday, February 13, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 13, 2014 22:02

The No. 1 UConn women’s basketball team wraps up their last five regular season games starting with a trip to South Florida. The Huskies escape the snow this weekend and travel to Florida to play their second game of the season against USF.

The last time the two teams matched up Breanna Stewart and Bria Hartley lit up the court. Stewart tied her career high of 29 points, while Bria Hartley racked up 26 points of her own as the two powerhouses helped the Huskies defeat the Bulls 81-53. Although Hartley and Stewart combined made eight out of 11 shots from three-point range, UConn had a slow start allowing Alisia Jenkins and the Bull’s take an early 9-6 lead. However, it didn’t take long for the Huskies to bounce back and gain the lead. Stewart banked a three-pointer seven minutes into the game to get UConn back on top and the team never looked back.

USF is in fourth in the American Athletic Conference with a record of 8-4 in conference play. After a tough loss to Louisville, the Bulls bounced back and won two straight games against Memphis and UCF. The team was able to keep both Memphis and UCF to less than 60 points. USF has had an overall shaky season for the most part as they win a few games in a row then slip up and lose a few games.

The Bulls will have their hands full this weekend as the Huskies come to visit their home court. Stewart was selected as the American Athletic Player of the Week for her efforts leading the team to a 2-0 week. Stewart has been named Player of the Week three times this season. She averaged 22 points, nine rebounds and four assists per game against both SMU and No.4 Louisville. Stewart also shot 50 percent from the floor and was 6-10 from long-range.

Stewart leads the Huskies with 19.4 points per game and has also racked up a total of 66 blocks this season. She is the conference’s second-leading scorer behind Keena Mays and leads the league in three-point field goal percentage with .790 this season.

UConn looks to keep their starters strong and healthy until the end of the season. Without Morgan Tuck and Brianna Banks playing due to injury, the team has had to step up and play their best for a majority of the game. The Huskies will look to keep their perfect season alive this Sunday as tip off is set for 4 p.m. The game can been seen on CBS Sports Network.