Women's Basketball: Huskies lose Mosqueda-Lewis, Tuck to injury

Associate Sports Editor

Published: Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 22:11

When the No. 1 Huskies hit the road this weekend for two games with top-20 teams, they’ll be sorely shorthanded. Junior Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis has been ruled out indefinitely with a nerve contusion in her elbow; Morgan Tuck underwent knee surgery Tuesday and will be sidelined four to six weeks, according to a statement issued by the team.

The news of Mosqueda-Lewis’ absence is unsurprising after she was left writhing in pain on the Gampel Pavilion floor against Stanford Monday. Word that the injury was not as severe as originally thought and that a return at some point in the season–though that point is still undertermined–was encouraging.

“It’s annoying not really knowing when I’m going to be able to come back, “ Mosqueda-Lewis said. “But at the same time it’s really a relief to know that nothing major is broken and that everything is going to be fine.”
Tuck’s injury, a cartilage issue in her right knee, was far more surprising–at least to those outside the program. According to head coach Geno Auriemma, Tuck and the Huskies knew the extent of the issue and took the court Monday knowing that the sophomore would need arthroscopic surgery Tuesday.

Before the surgery, which was performed at the UConn Health Center, Tuck had been experiencing swelling throughout the first few weeks of the season.

The two injuries leave UConn with just seven scholarship players for its matchup with No. 8 Maryland Friday and No. 13 Penn State Sunday.

“I think it’s going to be a test for sure,” Mosqueda-Lewis said. “You know, how much we can be together as a team in a time like this and I think it also is a good time early on in the season to give people a chance to step up and find their role. I think it’s really going to prepare Saniya [Chong] as a freshman, she’s going to have to come in and play a lot of minutes now.”
Chong already did a good job of stepping up for the Huskies early this season. Against Stanford, the point guard hit two straight three-pointers early on to break a streak of eight straight missed shots and grab UConn the lead.

Kiah Stokes will also see an increase in minutes while Mosqueda-Lewis and Tuck are out. The extra opportunity for the junior comes at a time when she’s playing the best baskebtall of her UConn career.

Stokes grabbed a career-high 13 rebounds against Stanford, in addition to 10 points and six blocks, and has followed it up with strong practices the past two days, according to Auriemma