Women's Basketball: No. 1 UConn finishes Texas trip with stop at SMU

Published: Monday, February 24, 2014

Updated: Monday, February 24, 2014 21:02

After the No.1 UConn women’s basketball team sailed by Houston in a 51-point blowout, the Huskies look to wrap up their visit to Texas this week as they take on Southern Methodist for the second time this season.

The last time the two teams met in early February, UConn defeated SMU in a lopsided 102-41 game. Bria Hartley and Breanna Stewart led the team with a combined 41 points. Stefanie Dolson and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis racked up 11 rebounds each. UConn opened up with a 19-0 run, not allowing the Mustangs to score for six minutes. By the end of the half UConn led SMU by 37 points.

Although the American Athletic Conference leading scorer, Keena Mays managed to make her average of 20 points per game against UConn, she was the only offensive threat for the Mustangs. The rest of the SMU team racked up a mere 21 combined points.

As of now, SMU stands at No. 5 in the American Athletic Conference at 7-8. After defeating Houston 67-50, the team snapped a three-game losing streak and seems to be headed in a positive direction. Mays hit a career-high seven 3-pointers and racked up 34 points against the Cougars. She also helped the Mustangs narrowly defeat Memphis 78-74, as she led the team with 24 points, two assists and four rebounds.

Saniya Chong will be one of the many challenging Huskies SMU has to face. After snapping her scoring drought, Chong lit it up in the last few games and was named American Athletic Conference Freshman of the Week. Chong averaged 12 points and seven rebounds in the two games played last week. She also recorded her first double-double against UCF.

Moriah Jefferson and Hartley were also named among 22 finalists for the Nancwy Lieberman Award on Monday. This award is given to the top point guard in women’s NCAA Division I basketball. Since the award’s start in 2000, Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi and Renee Montgomery are the only three UConn players to be honored.

Hartley has notched double-digit points in 12 consecutive games dating back to Jan. 11. Over those twelve games Hartley has averaged 20 points and 3.8 assists per contest. She also took home the USBWA National Player of the Week honors on Jan. 21 after she racked up a career-high 30 points against Rutgers. Jefferson leads the Huskies with 5.3 assists and 2.6 steals in a contest. She also dished out 12 assists against Temple and nine steals in the Memphis game, nearly tying the program record.

Both Hartley and Jefferson lead the nation in assists (22.3 per game) and assists to turnover ratio (1.93).

Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. tonight and the game can be seen on SNY.