Women's Basketball: No. 1 UConn routs UC Davis, moves to 10-0

Published: Thursday, December 5, 2013

Updated: Thursday, December 5, 2013 23:12

The No. 1 UConn women’s basketball team proves week in and week out to have more depth than the game before. With only six healthy players this week, the Huskies still managed to defeated UC Davis with ease, 97-37, cruising to an undefeated 10-0 on the season.

UConn’s bench was dropping like flies. Although both Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Morgan Tuck were both cleared to start practicing next week, UConn was down to six healthy scholarship players this game as Kiah Stokes was out with a sprained ankle. The Huskies had to be careful not to get in any foul trouble due to the lack of available players.

“There’s no choice,” UConn head coach Geno Auriemma said. “They have to play well and they have to stay out of foul trouble. When you have that much pressure on you it’s not that bad, it’s not bad at all.”

Early in the game four players picked up a foul each, but the Huskies were able to iron out the issue by slowing down and making more precise passes and using better judgment on the court.

“Sometimes in a game like this it’s easy to just get sloppy, let your concentration slip and wander and do some dumb stuff. I thought today we did a lot of really really good things,” Auriemma said. “We tipped more passes today than we have all year combined it’s a good sign.”

In the first half alone, UConn had 15 turnovers and held UC Davis to only 6-for-21 shooting and 17 total points. The Huskies also went on a 22-0 scoring run leaving UC Davis unable to score for nearly six minutes.

Bria Hartley was a dominant force for the Huskies scoring 25 points, nearly breaking her career high of 29 points in a game.

“Bria got lost in the shuffle a bit in the preseason hype,” Auriemma said. “And what she’s done since the very first game is kind of reminded everyone that ‘you know I’m a pretty good player. As a matter of fact I’ve proven I’m a good player since freshman year… I think when those other guys come back to play she’s only going to be better because we are going to have more weapons with her so I’m thrilled for her.”

Hartley now has 1,501 points in her career and is the 19th Husky to have done so.

“She played exceptionally well,” Stefanie Dolson said. “I heard she was 5-for 5 at the 3 which is great to see from her because she hasn’t been super confident in shots so to see her come out the way she did tonight is good to see.”

Breanna Stewart also got her first double-double of the season tonight making it the fifth of her career. Stewart racked up 19 points and 13 total rebounds.

“Stewie should have a double-double every night in my mind, just like Stefanie does,” Auriemma said. “Tonight Stewie went and rebounded the ball and there was none left for Stefanie so they should be fighting each other for rebounds instead of the other team.”

UC Davis’ Sydnee Fipps was the only real threat for the UConn defense with 13 total points, whereas most of her teammates had only a mere two or three points in the game. Although Fipps led the Aggies in scoring, she was no match to Hartley, Dolson and Stewart, who combined racked up a total of 62 points this game.

“It’s always hard when girls go out and we have limited players,” Dolson said. “I think we have done a great job just pushing through it and not really focusing on the fact that we only have six players and not a lot of subs but we still play the same basketball we play every other day.”

UConn takes a bit of a break before getting into the action again on Dec. 17 to hit the road and play No. 2 Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Tip off will be at 7 p.m. and the game will be broadcasted on ESPN2.