Women's Basketball: No. 1 UConn wins in Auriemma's 1,000th game

Associate Sports Editor

Published: Sunday, February 23, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 23, 2014 22:02

Geno Auriemma’s 1,000th career game went a lot like many of those that preceded it.

UConn’s two seniors–Bria Hartley and Stefanie Dolson–both notched 24 points as the Huskies pummeled Houston Saturday in a 92-41 blowout.

Top-ranked UConn (28-0, 15-0 American Athletic Conference) more than took care of business against the last-place Cougars (5-22, 1-15 American) in the benchmark contest. The Huskies opened on a 7-0 run and used a 17-1 spell late in the first half to break the game open.

The Huskies shot 64 percent from the field on the day, including an 80-percent performance in the second half.

Breanna Stewart was the only other UConn player in double-digits with 16 points. But the sophomore forward also hung up six turnovers, outnumbering her five assists.

The maligned Brianna Banks continued her return from a lingering ankle issue with 18 minutes. She tallied five points, two assists and two rebounds.

Te’onna Campbell led the Cougars, who have lost 18 of their last 20 games, with 15 points.

The UConn winning streak now sits at 34 games, the fourth-longest in program history.

As for Auriemma, he improved to 867-133 in his 1,000 games coached. By winning percentage, he is currently the most successful of the eight coaches in women’s basketball history to record at least 800 wins.