Women's Hockey East Power Rankings

Published: Monday, December 3, 2012

After another competitive weekend in the Hockey East, the Boston College Eagles have advanced to the No. 1 spot in this week’s power rankings. Here are your final standings as the first half of the season comes to a close:
8. Connecticut (2-14-2, 1-7-0)
The Vermont Catamounts dealt UConn two losses this weekend as the Huskies’ struggle continues. Failing to score a single goal in both games, a lack of offense continues to plague a team already struggling defensively. The Huskies have only scored 35 goals this season, coupled with a conference-high 71 goals allowed.

7. Maine (2-10-1, 1-8-0)
In similar straits as UConn, the Black Bears fell in back-to-back games against Boston College 2-7 and 0-10. While the Bears’ defense has been on par with other teams in the conference this season, the conference-low 23 goals scored has been the product of an anemic offense holding the team back from seeing success.

6. Vermont (5-9-2, 4-3-2)
The Catamounts’ two decisive wins over UConn brought the team up to a winning record in the conference. However, Vermont has still yet to show the kind of performance against stronger teams in the conference, specifically, Northeastern and Providence, to advance in the rankings. Bolstering the team’s mediocre offense would go a long way in maintaining a winning record.

5. New Hampshire (7-10-1, 4-3-1)
The Wildcats are halfway through the season and they are at a crossroads. The team is sitting at the precipice of breaking into the top half of the rankings, especially after splitting this weekend’s games with Northeastern in a 1-8 loss and 3-1 win. However, an early season loss to Vermont and a tie with Providence are still holding them back.

4. Providence (8-7-4, 5-4-2)
The Friars are clinging to their fourth place ranking. Two losses to Boston University 3-4 and 4-6 have lowered their stock even further. They had a strong start in the conference but are fading fast with the Wildcats waiting to pounce. Slipping to a negative goal differential (57 scored, 59 allowed) has relegated them to a very precarious position. Only time will tell if Friars’ prayers are answered.

3. Northeastern (9-5-2, 5-4-1)
The No. 9 Huskies are continuing an impressive run this season, but stumbled by allowing the Wildcats a 3-1 win. Northeastern needed two decisive wins in order to contend with their fellow Bostonians at the top of the rankings. Fortunately for the Huskies, the season is only halfway through, giving them more than enough time to make a run at No. 1.

2. Boston University (11-3-1, 6-2-1)
After two strong wins over Providence, the thought of the No. 7 Terriers slipping to No. 2 in the Hockey East rankings seemed unthinkable. The drop was at no fault of their own, only that Boston College had a great amount of momentum heading into this weekend and their two wins were more impressive than those of the Terriers. That being said, the two teams have a 1-1-1 record against each other, so this situation is as fluid as it gets.

1. Boston College (10-3-2, 7-2-1)
The No. 6 Eagles have been nearly unstoppable so far this season. Their only losses are to Boston University and New Hampshire. While no team will ever be a juggernaut in the Hockey East, with a scoring differential of +37 (71 scored, 34 allowed), Boston College has set itself up to do something incredible. Their decisive 7-2, 10-0 wins over the Black Bears was just further evidence of this.

Note: All national ranks, unless otherwise noted, are from the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll.