Women's Hockey: Huskies shock No. 7 BC, tops UNH

Published: Monday, February 10, 2014

Updated: Monday, February 10, 2014 00:02

The UConn women’s hockey team defeated the No. 7 Boston College Eagles on Saturday and then upended the University of New Hampshire Wildcats on Sunday to top off the weekend. UConn came in on a 10-game losing streak against the Eagles, but pulled off a victory.

The last time UConn defeated a nationally ranked opponent was on March 6, 2010 when the Huskies conquered the Providence Friars in the Hockey East Tournament.

Boston College’s highflying offense was buzzing early on. Multiple times in the first period, the Eagles held the puck in their offensive zone for over a minute but were unable to score on any of their 12 shots in the first period.

UConn winger Kayla Campero got the Huskies on the board 6:19 into the second period when she deflected a shot past BC goalie Corinne Boyles for her 10th goal of the season. After the goal, the Eagles came back firing in attempt to get an equalizer but again, weren’t able to convert as UConn goalie Elaine Chuli stopped everything that came her way.

Steph Raithby added a goal 10:41 into the third period to double the Huskies’ lead.

“I’m not necessarily the team's biggest goal scorer so whenever I get to put one between the pipes it’s pretty exciting,” Raithby said.

Boston College kept coming, but UConn’s defense was able to stay strong in front of Chuli, who made 45 saves in the game and the Huskies were able to pull off the upset 2-0.

“We really competed hard this week to get ready for this game,” head coach Chris MacKenzie said. “We got some fortunate goal scoring and our goaltending continues to play well, it was enough today to get the victory.”

The Huskies played outstanding defense on Saturday, keeping the top ranked offense in the Hockey East off the board. It was just the second time all season in which the Eagles were unable to produce a goal.

“They had a lot of possession time in our zone but for the most part they were outside,” MacKenzie said. “If we were willing to battle in front and maybe block some shots, which is what we did today, we were able to keep them off the board.”

UConn had to regroup quickly after the win over BC and head to New Hampshire to take on the Wildcats. New Hampshire got on the board first, scoring at 11:21 of the first period but the Huskies were able to put together a valiant comeback, scoring three unanswered goals and walking away with a 3-1 victory.

Brittany Berisoff, Sarah MacDonnell and Michela Cava all lit the lamp for the Huskies, who moved to fifth in the Hockey East standings with the win on Sunday.

Chuli stopped 38 of 39 shots on Sunday, making it the 13th straight game in which she registered 30 or more saves.

UConn will be back on the ice next weekend when they travel to Massachusetts to take on Northeastern.