Women's Hockey: Huskies swept by Northeastern

Published: Sunday, February 16, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 16, 2014 22:02

The UConn women’s hockey team dropped a pair of contests 3-0 and 5-0 in Boston over the weekend to conference foe, Northeastern.

The Huskies entered the weekend on a bit of a high note, looking to build on victories over conference rivals Boston College and New Hampshire the previous week.

However, it was not to be for UConn, as Northeastern was able to hold the Huskies scoreless on a combined 48 shots over the weekend.

In the weekend’s first contest, the Huskies held Northeastern scoreless until late in the second period. However, the hosts were able follow a second period goal with two more in the third to give themselves a commanding 3-0 win.

The second matchup of the weekend didn’t go much better for UConn. Northeastern scored two points in the first, two in the second and one in the third, in a dominating 5-0 win.

Northeastern was able to take advantage of the powerplay early in the second game, as the hosts scored on their first two extra skater opportunities in the first period.

With the pair of losses, UConn falls to 9-21-2 on the season with a 6-12-1 record in Hockey East play. The Huskies will look to rebound from the loss next weekend, as they host a season-ending series with Maine before the Hockey East tournament begins on Feb. 28.