Women's Hockey Notebook: UConn honors four seniors during final weekend series at Freitas

Published: Sunday, February 23, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 23, 2014 22:02

Freitas Ice Forum was adorned with decorative posters bearing the names of the UConn women’s hockey team’s four seniors as the Huskies honored those departing in the team’s home finale.

Erin Burns, Sarah Moses, Kiana Nauheim and Stephanie Raithby were honored in the pregame ceremony. However, the Huskies were unable to send their seniors out with a victory as they dropped a 5-2 contest to conference foe Maine.

“I just wanted to play my best for myself, for my family and for my team,” Burns said. “I can be happy with that, but you want to get the win for your team and your fans, too. It was heartbreaking. I think that’s the right word for it.”

Despite the loss, head coach Chris MacKenzie was full of praise for his senior class.

“Erin Burns was our captain this year,” MacKenzie said. “I think every player on the team voted for her … Moses brings a solid presence for us on the backend … Raithby is playing her best hockey right now … and Nauheim has played a special role for us on special teams.”

“They contributed,” Mackenzie added. “All four of them contributed in some way. Our program has taken a step in the right direction and they’re a part of that.”

Both MacKenzie and Burns were quick to point out that senior night wasn’t the end of UConn’s season, as a conference tournament matchup with Northeastern is on the horizon.

“I’m sorry we didn’t get it done for the seniors,” MacKenzie said, “but next week we have playoffs, so we’ve just got to get ready for that.”

“I think a lot of people have kind of counted us out,” Burns said. “All season they’ve done that and we’ve turned some heads. We’ve surprised some people, and I think it’s exactly what’s going to happen throughout the playoffs.”

UConn will take on Northeastern in the Women’s Hockey East Championship Tournament on Feb. 28 in Boston.