Women's Hockey: UConn drops two games to Boston Univeristy

Published: Sunday, February 2, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 2, 2014 22:02

The UConn women’s hockey team suffered a pair of setbacks over the weekend, as the Huskies were defeated by nationally ranked Boston University by scores of 2-1 and 5-2.

The Huskies opened the home-and-home series at Freitas Ice Forum, where the hosts were defeated despite a 35–save performance from goaltender Elaine Chuli.

The Terriers broke through on the power play in the second period, before adding an insurance goal in the third.

The Huskies fought back with a Rachel Farrell power play goal. However, it was not to be, as the Huskies couldn’t find a late equalizer.

“It was nice to get a goal there at the end for the girls,” Chuli said. “I thought we could have been better in some areas, but I’m proud of how we battled.”

“It was a scrappy effort, but it just wasn’t enough,” Coach Chris MacKenzie said. “We had some offensive chances that we had to connect on…It’s not meant to be. BU was better than us tonight.”

The Terriers also proved superior in the second contest of the double header, as the Huskies fell despite goals from Michela Cava and Sarah MacDonnell.

Though Chuli was able to reach the 30 save mark for the 11th straight game a three-point game from Hockey East’s leading scorer Sarah Lefort proved to be too much for the Huskies.

The Huskies will return to action Saturday afternoon, at Freitas Ice Forum when they will play host to conference leader Boston College.