Women's Hockey: UConn falls to Vermont, scores four goals in 10 minutes to tie Maine in Hockey East

Published: Sunday, November 3, 2013

Updated: Sunday, November 3, 2013 22:11

With 10 minutes remaining in Sunday’s contest with Maine, the UConn women’s hockey team were staring down an ugly weekend.

They had been outscored 7-0 on the weekend. They had little offensive flow. They were taking too many penalties.

However, a four goal explosion in the third allowed the Huskies to salvage something on the weekend, as UConn was able to muster a tie with Maine to go with their 4-0 defeat at the hands of Vermont.

UConn opened the weekend at Freitas Ice Forum, as visiting Vermont dominated the Huskies with a 4-0 score line behind a Brittany Zuback hat-trick.

The Huskies took six penalties on the afternoon, giving Vermont momentum numerous times throughout the game. Despite not allowing a goal on the penalty kill, coach Chris MacKenzie believes that the repeated mental errors killed any flow the Huskies had on the day.

“We just had a couple breakdowns that we haven’t really had this year,” said the first year head coach. “We got behind, and when we started to get some momentum there’d be some penalties. We weren’t able to string some consistency there. We were kind of discombobulated.”

The Huskies struggled to put together any form of offense as the hosts were outshot 42-28.

“We just didn’t generate enough offense, didn’t get going,” said MacKenzie. “We didn’t hit a post until like the third period. Maybe we get one. Maybe we get some mojo. It just wasn’t there tonight. They deserved to win.”

The Huskies followed up the defeat with a miraculous come-from-behind draw in Maine.

The Black Bears dominated the first 50 minutes of the contest, as the hosts were coasting with a three-goal lead. However, a pair of goals from Michela Cava and scores from both Erin Burns and Kayla Campero earned the Huskies a hard fought tie.

The hosts outshot the Huskies by a tally of 30-11 in the opening two frames, but UConn was able to muster 12 third period attempts on goal to get themselves back into the contest.

UConn will be back in action Wednesday afternoon, as the Huskies travel to Massachusetts to take on Boston University.