Women's Hockey: UConn splits weekend series with Colgate, drops to 1-4-0

Published: Sunday, October 13, 2013

Updated: Sunday, October 13, 2013 22:10

The UConn women’s hockey team was able to earn the first win of the Chris MacKenzie era, as a weekend split with Colgate gave the Huskies their first victory of the young season.

The Huskies opened the weekend with an emotional 3-2 overtime win, as Kayla Campero was able to find the back of the net with just ten seconds remaining in the extra period.

First period goals from Sarah MacDonnel and Stephanie Raithby gave the Huskies an early advantage, but Colgate were able to get chip away with a goal in both the second and third period.

However, Campero’s power play winner stifled the Raiders comeback attempt, as the junior winger’s deflection of an Emily Snodgrass shot gave the Huskies a tough win.

UConn goaltender Sarah Moses was able to stop 42 shots, despite the Huskies being left shorthanded 10 times.

Game two of the weekend series wasn’t as favorable for the Huskies, as the hosts dropped a 1-0 heartbreaker, despite dominating Colgate for long stretches of game time.

The Huskies outshot the Raiders 37-26, including a dominant second period that saw the Huskies fire 19 shots at Colgate goaltender Susan Allen.

However, UConn was unable to find the elusive goal, despite recieving a solid 25 save performance from Husky goaltender Elaine Chuli.

Despite not scoring, MacKenzie was able to take away plenty of positives from the loss, as the Huskies performance displayed the type of improvement the first year coach expects from his team.

“I feel solid about both of our goaltenders,” said MacKenzie. “If you saw this weekend, our goaltenders were outstanding. One thing we learned this weekend is that we have solid goaltending. We have defensemen that are getting better every single game. Our forwards are really starting to turn the puck over and really generate offense.”

“I’m very proud of the way we played,” continued Mackenzie. “We had 37 shots on net. Their goalie made some incredible saves. Sometimes that happens. I’m just really happy with the way we’re playing. We’re executing what we want to do. We outplayed them for long stretches of the game. We didn’t get what we deserved, but we’re going in the right direction and that’s the most important thing.”

UConn will look to build upon these improvements, as the Huskies will host Rennselaer for a weekend series starting Oct. 25.