Women's hockey: UConn to play in Hockey East Championship Tournament

Published: Thursday, February 27, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 27, 2014 23:02

The UConn women’s sixth seeded hockey team head to Boston this weekend, to take on third seeded Northeastern in the 12th annual Women’s Hockey East Championship Tournament quarterfinals.

The Huskies, who finished their regular season with a 9-23-2 overall record to go with their 6-14-1 conference mark, will be big time underdogs this weekend as they take on a Northeastern team who finished their WHEA campaign with a 13-6-2 mark, including three victories over UConn.

Knocking off Northeastern on their home ice will certainly be difficult, but head coach Chris MacKenzie has preached all season about overcoming whatever challenges his team encounters.

“It doesn’t matter what it is,” MacKenzie said. “You have to overcome it if you’re going to win. Every team that’s gone on to do something has faced those challenges and met them and beat them. So we have to be able to do that.“
However, the Huskies have been underdogs all season, its first under MacKenzie. The team was picked to finished eighth in the preseason polls, but managed to defy expectations with their fifth place finish.

Despite taking on heavily favored Northeastern, the Huskies have embraced the underdog role and will continue to do so heading into postseason play.

“I think a lot of people have kind of counted us out,” said senior captain Erin Burns. “All season they’ve done that and we’ve turned some heads. We’ve surprised some people, and I think it’s exactly what’s going to happen throughout the playoffs.”
UConn will look to continue to surprise this Friday when take on Northeastern on at 7 p.m.