Women's Swimming finishes middle of the pack at Virginia Tech

Published: Thursday, November 29, 2012

The women’s swimming and diving team held its own in competition at the Virginia Tech Invitational. UConn came in third overall out of five teams competing in the three-day event.

“As a team, I think we performed really well,” senior swimmer Mary deMarrais said. “The team placed third overall, which we were all excited about. It’s really hard to go up against big schools like South Carolina and Virginia Tech because their teams are so much bigger in size that they are able to get more swimmers in the finals. But everyone really stepped up and was able to score points.”

Despite their disadvantage in numbers, the Huskies are exactly where they want to be.

“I think we could have gotten more people on the team to final but we will learn from our mistakes and know what to work on” diver Danielle Cecco said. “This meet is in the first semester and we are still working on a lot of things so considering that we did fine.”

The three-day meet prepared UConn for their upcoming conference meets in second semester.

“One of the strengths that our team had is our ability to stand behind each other as a team,” swimmer Jordan Bowen said. “The meet can get very long considering it goes on for three days. It is important to keep the energy up and cheer for your teammates and the rest will fall into place.”

UConn’s next meet is not like the typical meet they compete in; it is another three-day event in Austin, Texas, but it is reserved for the swimmers.

“The USA Swimming Winter Nationals is different from any other meet that we swim at,” deMarrais said. “First of all, anyone who has qualifying times is allowed to go which means that there are people all over the country competing at this one meet. There will be ages ranging from young age group swimmers to college swimmers to Olympians competing against each other. It is also different because it is more individually based which means the results show who is the fastest swimmer in that event.”

This meet will be a challenge not only for the UConn swimmers, but also for all competitors in each event.

“It is not like other meets because of the size of the meet and the speed of it,” Bowen said. “You have to have a certain time to qualify for the meet and be allowed to compete there.” 
This atypical meet will put pressure onto the Huskies to perform to the best of their abilities and shine.

“My expectation going into the meet is to just to race really hard and try to place as high as I can,” said deMarrais. “Also, it is fun when you get to compete against some of the top names in swimming and swim against people you have never competed against.”