Women's Track: UConn gets personal bests from 14

Published: Sunday, February 16, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 16, 2014 22:02

The UConn women’s track and field team enjoyed an all around strong performance on Saturday at Boston University’s Scarlet and White Invitational, where 14 members posted personal records in their events.

“This was a great meet with 14 personal bests,” associate head coach Clive Terrelonge said following the competition. “It sets us up for the next 3-4 weeks of the championship season. The athletes really responded to the competition and the situation, and have continued improving all season. This is a good sign going into championship season for the athletes to continue to see progress and gain confidence from it. I am proud of the whole team today.”

Senior Celina Emerson continued her stellar season for the Huskies in the 400 meter run. The All-American, and last weeks American Athletic Conference Track Athlete of the Week, came out victorious in that event, posting a time of 53.46 seconds. A trio of Huskies also posted personal bests in the 200 meter dash. Sophomore Deysha Smith-Jenkins led the team with a time of 24.08 seconds, followed by junior Nyanka Joseph with 24.69 seconds and freshman Taylor Anderson with 24.81 seconds.

The UConn jumpers also enjoyed successful days, sweeping the top four spots in the triple jump, as well as coming out tops in the long jump. Sophomore Odrine Belot captured first in the triple with a personal best of 12.47 meters, followed by teammates Melodee Riley, Sarah Bowens and Brittany Power. Bowens also claimed first in the long jump with a personal best of 6.08 meters.

Also finishing the day with personal record performances in the short-distance events were senior Chantal Scott in the 60 meter hurdles, and junior Faith Dismuke and sophomore Emily Howard in the 800 meter run. Sophomore Laura Williamson and freshman Maggie Christe both shattered their personal record times by over 10 seconds in each of their respective events, the mile run and the 1,000 meter run, while sophomores Emily Durgin and Abby Mace both topped their personal bests in the 3,000 meter distance run.

The Huskies will now receive a well-deserved break in action to rest and prepare for the American Athletic Conference Championships that will begin on Friday, Feb. 28 in New York City.