Stealing the spotlight from your family Christmas tree

Published: Thursday, December 5, 2013

Updated: Thursday, December 5, 2013 22:12

Have you been a little angel all year long? If so, boast it! From now until the New Year, as the snowfalls and we hustle and bustle to give gifts, bake cookies and send family holiday cards let’s not forget that we are just as dazzling when dressed in red and sparkles. Finding inspiration cannot be too difficult. After all, trees on campus are shimmering, dining halls are flooded for festive feasts and your family has transformed an evergreen into a masterpiece. We have already switched our Starbucks latte order; why not switch up another staple of our existence?
When we have to dress up this time of year, we habitually rush to an ugly sweater or flannel. But, you could knock the socks off your friends by wearing holiday thigh-high socks over a pair of black nylons. Guys too could, and should, show some Christmas-y ankle by cuffing pants with festive socks. When else can you smile at someone’s ankles or knees?
Hair can be adorned like a Christmas tree by just slipping one piece off the branches and tying it around a strand or two. It is cumbersome to do on your own, but what the perfect way to treat your friends like they have been angels all year long. Many salons offer tinsel as well because they realize the overwhelming glisten and often relate it to the first snow. Festive ribbons and bows around a ballerina bun or loose waves are absolutely adorable and can simply be swiped from your sister’s presents before she even knows. Most ladies dye their hair darker in the winter, but if the thought of exposed roots frightens you, dying the tips of your hair red or black or green is quite exciting (and can just be chopped off when Valentine’s Day knocks at our doors).

Sparkles are meant to be spread, shared and spontaneous. You can glue rhinestones to the corner of your eyes, spray metallic fabric paint to the pockets of your jeans or invest in a glossy lip plumper. You do not even need to wear rings when a couple of your fingers are painted silver or bright red. Little accent pieces are what keep people amused. Treat yourself like a gift for our campus.

Encourage your friends to throw a holiday party to share the spirit, try new recipes and have an excuse to show off your holiday outfits.