Storrs Side

UConn earns unanimous No. 1 for the first time this season

Published: Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 23:12

For the third consecutive week, the University of Connecticut women’s basketball team is the nation’s top ranked team in both the AP Top 25 and USA Today Coaches Poll. With a record of 9-0 and victories over three different top-15 opponents, UConn received all 36 votes as the first place team in the AP Top 25 and all 32 votes in the USA Today Coaches poll.

UConn has sustained its status as the nation’s top ranked team since the preseason polls were released in October. The preseason Coaches poll saw Tennessee receive a lone vote besides UConn as the country’s top team. In Week 2 Duke also received a first place vote in the AP top 25. However, since then the Huskies have stood alone. A 19 point win over No. 3 Stanford on Nov. 11 cemented UConn’s position as the most dominant team in the country. Since then, no other team has received a first place vote. Last year’s leading scorer Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis has been out for an extended period of time with a nerve contusion to her shooting elbow, but the Huskies have still managed back-to-back road victories over No. 8 Maryland and No. 13 Penn State.

An upcoming trip to Durham, N.C. could serve as the Huskies’ toughest test of the season. UConn will play on Dec. 17 against No. 2 Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium in a game that will more than likely showcase the nation’s top two teams. If the Huskies can survive the Blue Devils and a neutral-sited game against No. 21 California Golden Bears several days after, they will play only one game against a currently-ranked opponent before Feb. 9, placing UConn in a position to continue to be the nation’s top-ranked team for an indefinite amount of time.