Storrs Side: Faris joins three Huskies on Wade Trophy watch list

Published: Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Women’s Basketball Coaches Association and State Farm added UConn women’s basketball guard Kelly Faris to the Wade Trophy watch list on Monday.

With Faris now on the list of 33 players, the Huskies have four candidates for the award, more than any other team in the country.

Faris is in the midst of a noteworthy season. The senior guard is averaging 10.7 points, 5.1 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 2.7 steals per game during the 2012-13 campaign.

Faris joins junior center Stefanie Dolson, junior guard Bria Hartley and sophomore forward Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis as potential winners of the national player of the year award.

Dolson, Hartley and Mosqueda-Lewis were among the 25 players selected in the preseason for the initial watch list.

Faris was joined by seven other additions to the watch list: Kelsey Bone of Texas A&M, Gennifer Brandon and Layshia Clarendon of Cal Berkeley, Tianna Hawkins of Maryland, Chelsea Hopkins of San Diego State, Niveen Rasheed of Princeton and Meighan Simmons of Tennessee.

State Farm and the Wade Trophy Coalition award the trophy to the country’s top player throughout the season, but also consider whether a player serves a positive role model on and off the court.

Faris was one of five members of the women’s basketball team honored during Tuesday night’s game against Marquette for earning at least a 3.0 grade point average during the fall semester.

Faris obtained a 4.0 GPA during the fall semester.

The list of candidates will drop from 33 to 12 finalists in March. A winner will be announced at the WBCA National Convention, which will convene as part of the NCAA Women’s Final Four in New Orleans.