‘The Outsiders’ embodies Church’s rebellious sound

Published: Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Updated: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 23:02

Eric Church came back, fists swinging with his new single titled “The Outsiders” and his new album, which carries the same name does not fail to pack a punch either. Released Feb. 11, ‘The Outsiders’ proves to embody Eric Church’s classic rebellious country sound. Church has always been known to “keep it country,” avoiding that curious blend of country-pop that many ‘purist’ country fans cringe at the thought of.

The release of the album’s single “The Outsiders” set off a flurry of excitement for many of Church’s fans that were highly anticipating what the album had to offer. Especially considering it was following his previous album ‘Chief’ which was full of top summer hits such as “Springsteen” (which is still in the top 25 most played songs in my iTunes!), “Creepin’” and “Drink In My Hand.” I can already see “The Outsiders” single with its catchy chanted chorus that of screams carefree rebelliousness becoming an instant summer staple for parties, tailgates and long road trips. The beat is steady and commanding. You will be nodding your head to the beat and singing along without a second thought.

Other songs on the album include the soft ballad “A Man Who Was Gonna Die Young.” This gentle, mournful song highlights the classic twang in Church’s voice indicative of the country genre and his natural style. The soft acoustic guitars strum a sweet melody supporting the somber storyline that Church sings.

“Give Me Back My Hometown” is another song on the album that I enjoyed quite a bit. Another country summer anthem contender, “Give Me Back My Hometown” bursts with glory and pride. It is an easy sing-along with an uplifting message as Church reflects on his own youth and upbringing.

Some other favorites on the album included “Broke Record” and “Talladega” which also emphasized Church’s down-home theme and country pride.

Now, I am not in any way a country music fanatic, but I have always looked past the negative hype country often receives from other music enthusiasts and found appreciation for the genre. Whether it be the carefree, upbeat songs that infuse the summertime radio or the meaningful ballads with the slow strum of guitar, Eric Church’s new album embodies all of my favorite aspects about the genre and ties them all together seamlessly.

9/10