The perfect playlist for your Halloween party

Published: Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 23:10

While there are a few classic Halloween songs -- and by a few, I mean “The Monster Mash” and “Thriller” -- the holiday doesn’t exactly seem to inspire party anthems. To me, this is a bit unfair -- even Labor Day has a Black Eyed Peas song. Halloween is a big party night for college students, so much so that standard party tracks may not quite cut it. Luckily for you, this enterprising music addict has scoured both her SoundCloud feed and her extensive mp3 collection to create a small starter playlist for her fellow Huskies. Here are some songs that keep the party mood going, but still keep you in that spooky Halloween spirit. You can thank me later.

MS MR “Bones” (Ianborg x PRFFTT & Svyable remix) If you weren’t unsettled by the original when it set dramatic scenes on “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Pretty Little Liars,” try this dubstep version at your Halloween party. Starting slowly and building, PRFFTT and Syvable mix Lizzy Plapinger’s vocals with some good bass for a spooky party hit.

Dead Kennedys “Halloween” An old punk and grunge classic, this gritty Halloween anthem may not seem out of place amongst current dubstep trends, but can provide a welcome respite from the constantly thumping bass. After all, “it’s Halloween / and ya feel like dancing.”

Panic! At the Disco “Let’s Kill Tonight” While P!ATD has several spooky-ish songs (notably “Nearly Witches” and “I Write Sins Not Tragedies”), this song has the perfect mix of spooky violins and instrumentals and an appropriately unsettling message (which I strongly urge listeners not to take literally), all set to an excellent beat.

Flux Pavilion “Haunt You” Flux Pavilion knows what they’re doing when it comes to a bass beat. However, what makes this track especially spooky-perfect is the vocals, which effect an ethereal, haunting quality with minor intervals and an operatic tone.

Kill Paris “Ghostbusters (remix)” Trust Kill Paris, experts at mixing samples of classic songs with uniquely bouncy electronic beats (see “Baby Come Back”), to give us the perfect Halloween present. Par excellence.

Space_Camp “Hell Tonight” While their new EP, “Slashers,” seems tailor-made for Halloween, it tends mostly toward downtempo; this song, however, is the perfect upbeat party track. Bonus: the EP is free on Space_Camp’s SoundCloud page. (look for “spacecampbeats”)
Kavinsky ft. The Weeknd “Odd Look” (Surkin remix) Anything that Abel Tesfaye lends his voice to is going to be soulfully creepy, but Surkin’s remix of this Kavinsky track --including heart-stopping buildups, chopping of Tesfaye’s already disjointed vocals, and prolific use of sirens -- brings it above and beyond.

The Neighbourhood “Let It Go (Ghost Loft remix)” Ghost Loft adds some creepy effects and a party-ready bass line to maximize this song’s already ominous tone.

The Bird and the Bee “Witch” This spooky synth-pop track highlights all of what makes the bird and the bee such a wonderful duo: Inara George’s absolutely gorgeous voice, Greg Kurstin’s production and lyrics like “how could I haunt you… when you can see my seams, the fraying of my dress? / I am defenseless.”

Figure “Halloween (remix)” Okay, this remix has been out for a while, but it’s made for college students everywhere. Figure puts “Nightmare Before Christmas” classic “This is Halloween” over a truly phenomenal bass track.