Throwing pie for charity

Published: Thursday, April 4, 2013

As part of their Beating Heart Disease Week events, the brothers of Beta Chi Theta took pies to the face in the name of charity Wednesday on Fairfield Way.

Members of the fraternity braved a brisk cold spring day and frequent gusts of wind to make money for charity, all proceeds going to the American Heart Association. Interested students could donate $2 in exchange for a whipped cream pie, with extra toppings costing a dollar per pie. Brothers took turns taking hits while wearing black plastic bags for protection.

“We actually got the idea from a few of our chapters around the country, but we figured this would be a good way for people to relieve some stress as they get closer to finals. It’s a great way to raise money, because who doesn’t want to cream somebody in the face?” said Jessey Chhura, a 6th-semester psychology major, founder of the fraternity’s UConn colony and its new member educator.

“It feels good to be pied in the face,” said Thomas McNamara, an 8th-semester accounting major and member of the fraternity. “Anything I can do to help raise money for Beating Heart Disease Week. It’s freezing cold outside, the wind is awful, but I don’t mind because it’s for a good cause.”

“It was great because not only am I helping out charity but it’s fun at the same time,” said 8th-semester engineering major Joe Grassi, who stopped by to throw a pie at his friends.

On Thursday and Friday, Beta Chi Theta will be selling Frootis mango drinks around campus to raise money. More information can be found on their Facebook page.