Tri-state sports: Super Bowl XLVIII heads to New Jersey

Published: Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Bowl XVII is over, so why not start looking ahead to Super Bowl XVIII.

Super Bowl. Tri-state area. I love it.

Even though players and experts and analysts have come out over the past few years to criticize the NFL’s decision to bring next year’s Super Bowl to East Rutherford, N.J., I could not be more excited about the league’s biggest game being played outdoors in the cold.

All season long, teams in New England, the Mid-Atlantic and Great Lakes regions play games in the cold. They build their teams – personnel, game plans – around the fact that they’ll be playing in chilly weather.

Why do you think so many of those teams are described as “ground-and-pound” squads?
It’s because they play outdoors in the winter, and that’s what will work best at their own home field.

But inevitably, every year, the Super Bowl is played in our country’s warm climates, or at least indoors. Cold-weather teams see their advantage ripped away in the biggest game of the year.

But next year, those teams will actually get to take advantage of their edge.

Now maybe that isn’t fair to warm weather teams, but hey, we’ve been giving them the edge for the past few decades.

It’s time to mix it up.

In my opinion, from here on out the game should be alternated between cold and warm-weather sites in order to keep some sense of fairness from year to year.

One year, cold-weather teams have the edge. The next, warm-weather teams have an added advantage.

Seems fair to me.

Maybe it won’t always work out, and we’ll have two run-and-gun teams playing in the cold, or two ground-and-pound teams in the warmth, but at least it’ll come down to the luck of the draw instead of one style of play always having the advantage.

Oh, and if a few Super Bowls happens to be played just 40 minutes from my New Jersey home, well then that’d just be a nice bonus, now wouldn’t it?