UCF comes to Hartford Wednesday night

Associate Sports Editor

Published: Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 22:02

Moriah Jefferson

JESS CONDON/The Daily Campus

UConn’s sophomore guard Moriah Jefferson goes up strong for a lay up against a Louisville Cardinal in Gampel Pavilion on February 9th in a a 81-64 win against a highly ranked Cardinals team.

Wednesday night is set up for history. When the UConn women’s basketball team tips off against UCF, both Breanna Stewart and Bria Hartley will be inches away from a place in the record books.

Stewart enters the No. 1 Huskies’ 27th game of the season just two points shy of 1,000 for her career. Barring injury or other unforeseen circumstance, the sophomore forward will be the second-fastest player in program history to reach the milestone. Only Maya Moore, who accomplished the feat in 55 games, would top Stewart’s 63.

Hartley enters the night three rebounds short of 500 for her career. Once she reaches that milestone, she’ll become just the third Husky to join the 1,500 points, 500 assists and 500 rebounds club. Diana Taurasi and Moore are the only other players in UConn history to hit all three marks.

The matchup against the Knights will also be UConn head coach Geno Auriemma’s 999th career game.

UCF has struggled through the American Athletic Conference this season, posting a 3-11 record in the conference and 10-15 record overall. The Knights sit ninth in the 10-team standings.

Meanwhile, first-place UConn (26-0, 13-0 American) enters the game on a 32-game winning streak and relatively well rested, having played just one game–a 25-point win over USF–since a Feb. 9 defeat of Louisville.

The Huskies have struggled with injury, however, with Morgan Tuck out for the season after knee surgery and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis out about another 2-5 weeks with mononucleosis. Brianna Banks was deemed close to returning from an ankle sprain, but played just two minutes against the Bulls Sunday due to doubts about her recovery. Those injuries left UConn with just six scholarship players for much of the night.

Tip-off Wednesday is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the XL Center. The game can be seen on SNY.