UConn beats Albany 10-6, has four home runs on the day

Published: Thursday, April 25, 2013

softball

STEVE QUICK/The Daily Campus

UConn senior Kim Silva prepares to swing away at a pitch during a UConn softball game played on the campus of the University of Connecticut. The Huskies defeated the Great Danes 10-6.

The UConn softball team treated the Albany pitching staff like a pitching machine on Thursday, as they defeated the Great Danes 10-6 while amassing a school record 15 hits.

The Huskies’ offense struck early and often, compiling six runs on seven hits in the bottom of the first inning. Maddy Schiappa got the inning started with a single down the left field line, and Kim Silva followed her up with a well-executed bunt single. Schiappa would score on a Marissa Guches single to center giving the Huskies a 1-0 lead. After Silva scored on a groundball, freshman Jackyln Dubois sent a towering two-run home run to left-center field extending UConn’s lead to 4-0.

The Huskies were not done in the inning. Freshman Lexi Gifford doubled to right-center field, bringing freshman Valerie Sadowl to the plate. Sadowl would hit her first career home run in the at-bat, sending a shot down the left field line. The home run punctuated a wild first inning that left the Huskies ahead 6-0.

The Great Danes would add a run in the top of the second, but the Huskies would be back to their old tricks again in the bottom of the inning. Sophmore Emily O’Donnell sent a solo home run over the outfield fence to make the score 7-1. Later in the inning, junior Audrey Grinnell and sophomore Tori Thomson would score off a single to center off the bat of Sadowl to make it 9-1.

The Huskies’ offense would strike once more as Silva hit a home run to left field to extend UConn’s lead to 10-1.

The UConn pitching staff would keep the Great Danes at bay, giving up only one run through six innings. The Huskies used three pitchers on Thursday, with Alyson Ambler picking up the win, her third of the season.

The Great Danes made a comeback push in the top of the seventh, but Lauren Duggan was able to quell the surge as the Huskies would escape the five-run inning with the victory.

“I thought we started really strong,” coach Karen Mullins said. “It was nice to see everybody come in and contribute and we got to rest Kiki (Saveriano) for the weekend”

The win brings the Huskies’ overall record to 23-22. UConn returns to action this weekend, as the Huskies take on the Seton Hall Pirates in a three-game series that could have serious implications on UConn’s position in the Big East Conference standings.